Deciding not to do summer research before OMS2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I should do summer research

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm an OMS1 and have a current opportunity to do a summer research project in my desired specialty that could lead to a possible publication ( a literature review or something of the sort). I haven't been very involved in extracurriculars at all outside of required volunteering. I'm interested primarily in Peds/Psych and know I don't want to go into a competitive specialty or do a fellowship (unless it was a pediatric fellowship or child psych potentially). I was an RN in acute care pediatrics for 5 years prior to medical school which is what led to this decision. I'm in the top 20% of my class percentile wise, but everyone seems to be involved in 10+ things and I feel like I'm slacking by not wanting to partake as well.

It's not that I'm not interested in research as I did some bench work prior to MS as well and found it interesting, but I feel very mentally fatigued by this year and the thought of not taking a mental break during the summer before OMS2 sounds like a recipe for burnout. I've read on here in the past not to do research if you don't want to, however with COMLEX/USMLE going P/F, I'm worried that my lack of EC's/potentially declining research will place me in a very rural residency or even keep me from peds/psych altogether because I'll have nothing to show for my time in MS. This wouldn't be an issue entirely if I didn't have a long term partner that needs to work at least somewhat near a city!

Would I be shooting myself in the foot by declining a research opportunity? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: