kernel

OSU c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
It is tempting to opt for a science related major - it's like killing two birds with one stone. Then again, that's not where my real interests lie...

How much more "difficult" is it to pursue a non-science major when fulfilling pre-med req's? What helped you decide on your major? I feel lost and panicked! :scared:

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
It is tempting to opt for a science related major - it's like killing two birds with one stone. Then again, that's not where my real interests lie...

How much more "difficult" is it to pursue a non-science major when fulfilling pre-med req's? What helped you decide on your major? I feel lost and panicked! :scared:

It doesn't matter what major you choose. Pick something that you like or you need for work before med school. The rest is irrelevant. If you pick a non-science major and don't do that well in pre-reqs, you'll just have to take more science courses to counter that, but you still won't have to change your non-science major.

As for difficulty, you'll find that the most difficult thing is trying to study something you don't like. It can be physics for some, but psychology for others. Choose wisely.

Rooni

Ph.D in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Don't panic. You're just now applying to college. You've got all the time in the world to figure this out.

The big difference is that taking a science major usually means that some or all of your pre-reqs will count toward your major. You can obviously still take all the same classes as a non-science major, but they will be in addition to all the requirements of your major. Also, depending on your school, you may sometimes find it a little difficult to get into classes if they're not technically required ones for you.

Somebody who knows more about this may feel free to correct me (I was definitely not a science major, so I don't have any direct experience there), but as far as I can tell, that's really the only difference. As long as you've got good grades in the pre-reqs and good EC's, I don't think med schools particularly prefer one over the other. Personally, I think you should major in something you're interested in. Your grades will probably be better, and you'll have more fun.

About the Ads

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Major in anything that interests you. I cannot tell from your post whether you don't like science or just prefer to major in a nonscience area. Hopefully it is the latter. If you dislike science, you are going to hate medical school, trust me.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I’m personally against the “do whatever interests you” mentality. When I had to choose my major, I was stuck between chemistry, biology and mathematics. I am really interested in mathematics, neutral towards chemistry and I hate biology. I felt that I would achieve the best GPA with a major in chemistry. Mathematics would have been hard.

After majoring in chemistry, I realized that it was somewhat cool. It’s sort of like the “love comes after marriage” idea.

Bottom Line: Do whatever will allow you to maintain a high GPA + Makes you stand out.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
Bottom Line: Do whatever will allow you to maintain a high GPA + Makes you stand out.

Hence the recommendation to do whatever interests you. If you're interested in a subject, then you'll do well. You don't have to choose a chemistry major to find out that you like chemistry. Chances are that you'll take inorganic chemistry in your freshman year and then can decide whether you want to major in chemistry or not. Same is true for any other subject.

You'd probably have to find out why you hate biology. After all, that's all you'll be studying for the rest of your life.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I opted for a science degree for the ability to graduate and have all the pre-reqs done in 4 years. I don't have any big regrets, but I would still have perfered to do what I originally planned on.

Instead of getting the degree I was originally planning I opted to pursue my interests outside of school (my jobs, reading and involvment in a organization). That worked out pretty well, and I'm happy with where I'm at.

I don't however dislike science, I just like another subject more. If you can't stand science, then I would avoid the science degree.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.