Program-Specific Info / Q's Deciding on an OT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTcreate

Reaction score
Hi all!

I need some help with deciding on an OT program. There are just so much things I like that each program has to offer, and would love to hear what others think about these programs too.

Creighton (admitted)

UIC (admitted)

Ohio State University (just interviewed and hoping for admissions)

MGH (interviewed and hoping for admissions)

Washington University in saint Louis (admitted)- pretty sure im going to say no to their program because I've heard the faculty are too research focused and aren't great teachers...

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am also turning down WashU I think! For the other ones, I would consider price...I know Creighton is super expensive but if you got a scholarship it may help. Also the location is really important and where you see yourself living for 3 years and potentially starting your career!

Yes this is something I'm really considering at the moment too. For me, price and location as well as how my goals fit with the program are all factors I am prioritizing. Some people do pro and con lists. I did a really nerdy thing and creatrd an excel sheet and calculated formulas that would rank my programs based on the factors I mentioned.

Sent from my LG-H872 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also turning down WashU I think! For the other ones, I would consider price...I know Creighton is super expensive but if you got a scholarship it may help. Also the location is really important and where you see yourself living for 3 years and potentially starting your career!
I did get a scholarship which was nice, so all of the schools cost of attendance are pretty similar. Why are you turning down wash u?

Yes this is something I'm really considering at the moment too. For me, price and location as well as how my goals fit with the program are all factors I am prioritizing. Some people do pro and con lists. I did a really nerdy thing and creatrd an excel sheet and calculated formulas that would rank my programs based on the factors I mentioned.

Hahah I've started doing this too what other factors are you considering in your formula?

Also how much are you factoring ranking into making your decisions?

Also how much are you factoring ranking into making your decisions?
I did Location, Cost (total cost), Funding (scholarships and such), program fit, travel opportunities, diversity, and program length.

I didn't incorporate ranking, just because I have heard over and over again that the ranking might not matter as much (unless you plan to be more research based.) I'm looking at ranking and keeping it in the back of my mind, but what's morning important is why do they have that ranking? Is it that they have tons of hands on experience, do they have a well rounded network, where do their grads get placed most? All of the programs you listed are pretty highly ranked so I think any choice would be great if you look at it from your personal preferences.

Reactions: 1 user
I did get a scholarship which was nice, so all of the schools cost of attendance are pretty similar. Why are you turning down wash u?
I've heard the faculty are too focused on research rather than teaching. I also don't like that they don't offer electives, and I want to go into pediatrics and they only have one class where as other programs have several

I did Location, Cost (total cost), Funding (scholarships and such), program fit, travel opportunities, diversity, and program length.

I didn't incorporate ranking, just because I have heard over and over again that the ranking might not matter as much (unless you plan to be more research based.) I'm looking at ranking and keeping it in the back of my mind, but what's morning important is why do they have that ranking? Is it that they have tons of hands on experience, do they have a well rounded network, where do their grads get placed most? All of the programs you listed are pretty highly ranked so I think any choice would be great if you look at it from your personal preferences.

Thanks so much for all of this advice!! :)

Why did you decide to turn down wash u?

Why did you decide to turn down wash u?
I went to visit the campus and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. Compared to my other offer at least. Also the large class size was a turn off for me as well. They also said since there's so many students you shouldn't count on being able to stay in St. Louis for your fieldworks and you'd basically have to find housing or a hotel for even level 1 fieldwork

Reactions: 2 users
funny, Creighton is actually one of my top picks because of the low tuition cost (around 84k just for the complete tuition) and NBCOT pass rate (100% for the last 3 years straight). The surrounding area is also fairly affordable (exceptional housing can be found for about $650-750), so if you're thinking of MGH i'll be glad to swap my MGH admission for your Creighton lol (i've been waitlisted since november, it really hurts >.< )

funny, Creighton is actually one of my top picks because of the low tuition cost (around 84k just for the complete tuition) and NBCOT pass rate (100% for the last 3 years straight). The surrounding area is also fairly affordable (exceptional housing can be found for about $650-750), so if you're thinking of MGH i'll be glad to swap my MGH admission for your Creighton lol (i've been waitlisted since november, it really hurts >.< )
When I was at my interview they told us the total tuition cost was 140 thousand....not sure where you found 84k?

Hi all!

I need some help with deciding on an OT program. There are just so much things I like that each program has to offer, and would love to hear what others think about these programs too.

Creighton (admitted)

UIC (admitted)

Ohio State University (just interviewed and hoping for admissions)

MGH (interviewed and hoping for admissions)

Washington University in saint Louis (admitted)- pretty sure im going to say no to their program because I've heard the faculty are too research focused and aren't great teachers...

Any advice would be really appreciated!

How long did it take you to hear back from creighton after your interview?

I have a buddy in Creightons program and he seems to really enjoy it. Can’t speak on much other than that.