deciding on med school/completing prereqs...some advice needed!

dreamsicle

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status
Pre-Optometry
Do we need to have finished all of the prerequisites by the time we take the MCAT? Is the info on all of these courses tested on the MCAT? and finally, how long does it take to study for the MCAT? I just completed my first year at Berkeley with a nonscience major, and I was not premed. My gpa was 3.54. I have found that it would be possible for me to do all of the prereqs by the end of junior year, but I'm afraid this is too late to adequately prepare for mcat and take part in the regular application cycle with my peer premeds, and i'm also worried that cramming in all of these science courses would bring down my gpa, and I sure don't want that, so I'm not quite sure what I should do. any advice? I was thinking about maybe holding off on the prereqs altogether and just doing them in a post bacc, since I am graduating early (in three years) I could join a post bacc with a linkage and do it that way so i'd still be on schedule with everyone else, but those programs don't exist with my state medical school (tx) and I'm not sure I could afford out of state. My parents are telling me I should have planned in advance and that now it's a little late and that I should go to law school instead, so obviously I'm not getting much help from them about this little dilemma.. all the while i'm questioning whether i'd be able to do well in these tough required classes. how do i know i'm cut out for med school? i'm full of doubts so i'd appreciate your help!

Erina

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
dreamsicle said:
Do we need to have finished all of the prerequisites by the time we take the MCAT? Is the info on all of these courses tested on the MCAT? and finally, how long does it take to study for the MCAT? I just completed my first year at Berkeley with a nonscience major, and I was not premed. My gpa was 3.54. I have found that it would be possible for me to do all of the prereqs by the end of junior year, but I'm afraid this is too late to adequately prepare for mcat and take part in the regular application cycle with my peer premeds, and i'm also worried that cramming in all of these science courses would bring down my gpa, and I sure don't want that, so I'm not quite sure what I should do. any advice? I was thinking about maybe holding off on the prereqs altogether and just doing them in a post bacc, since I am graduating early (in three years) I could join a post bacc with a linkage and do it that way so i'd still be on schedule with everyone else, but those programs don't exist with my state medical school (tx) and I'm not sure I could afford out of state. My parents are telling me I should have planned in advance and that now it's a little late and that I should go to law school instead, so obviously I'm not getting much help from them about this little dilemma.. all the while i'm questioning whether i'd be able to do well in these tough required classes. how do i know i'm cut out for med school? i'm full of doubts so i'd appreciate your help!
I am a psych major who didn't decide to go to med school until after freshman year. When I took the April 06 MCAT, I was still finishing up ochem II and I still haven't taken ochem lab. you're fine--as long as you have the prereqs done before you graduate, things are ok. as for studying for the mcat, it's going to be offered many times during the year that you'll be taking it so you'll have plenty of time to study. even if you have to finish your prereqs junior year, you can still study what you've already taken and pay extra close attention to the classes that you're taking while studying for the mcat.

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status
Attending Physician
When I took the April '06 MCAT, I was in OChem II, Bio II and Genetics (which was the only upper level bio I had taken) I was done with Physics. Completely doable to take it in April while finishing up pre-recs. Don't stress if you need to take a year off too, remember applying is about more than just numbers. If you need a year, make sure you do some great clinic experience/research/go abroad.

Good Luck! :luck:

About the Ads