Deciding on Pre-med major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophialaurel

Reaction score
Hi! I am considering majoring in human biology, neurobiology, or public health. Is there anything that I should reconsider like the difficulty and competition of the major, how well they prepare you for the MCAT, meeting medical school pre-requisites, acceptance into medical school, etc. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not an expert on this, but from what I've heard admissions committees generally don't care what your major is. My advice would be to look at the curricula for these majors (i.e., which classes the major requires that you complete) as well as the recommended courses for the MCAT and med school. This includes general biology 1 & 2, general and organic chemistry, biochem, physics 1 & 2, and behavioral/social sciences. Some med schools require English/writing courses too, and some require labs in some of those science courses. Major in something that you find interesting and which allows you to complete some or all of these courses as part of the major curriculum.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely not an expert on this, but from what I've heard admissions committees generally don't care what your major is. My advice would be to look at the curricula for these majors (i.e., which classes the major requires that you complete) as well as the recommended courses for the MCAT and med school. This includes general biology 1 & 2, general and organic chemistry, biochem, physics 1 & 2, and behavioral/social sciences. Some med schools require English/writing courses too, and some require labs in some of those science courses. Major in something that you find interesting and which allows you to complete some or all of these courses as part of the major curriculum.
Thank you so much for the advice! I'll definitely keep this in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn’t matter.

Pre-Reqs + MCAT + ECs matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Pick a major that you will enjoy. You can complete the prereqs no matter what.

Reactions: 1 users
My recommendation is always to pick a major that has good fall-back potential where you could be gainfully employed with it.

The vast majority of people who are pre-meds when they pick their major won't go to medical school. It is important to pick and major you enjoy and can do well in, but also keep in mind college is an investment. Invest in something that keeps a lot of options open for you (including medical school).

Reactions: 4 users