Deciding on Schools, Please help if you have a minute :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numberfour_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Been stalking the forum for a while but never really had anything to contribute. I am finally applying after a non-traditional path to Dental School (four-years out from undergrad). Since we're later in the cycle, I'd like to finalize my app and send it in. It's very hard to pick schools because of my stats and also the fact that I am a CC transfer (all of my prereqs basically) prior to transferring to a university. Any input of advice would be much much appreciated. A quick blurb about me:

-low gpa (~3.3 science, ~3.5 overall)
-non-traditional, graduated 4 years ago and haven't spent all of my time in a new career or anything (I did explain what I was doing in my PS)
-some of my pre-reqs were taken a long time ago, and at a CC (I did retake some of them at another CC very recently, and received A's in any new courses)
-avg DAT: (21 AA, 23 TS, 21 PAT, 19 RC, 19 QR) I think I burned out at the end..

Other stats:
CA resident, not an URM (south asian), female, 27 y/o (though I know they can't judge based on age)

Any advice would be super appreciated, don't want to waste my time or money on schools since my app may be a stretch but also don't want to under apply and miss my chance. I'm thinking about 15 schools should give me a fair chance. Correct me if I should be expanding.

TL;DR

help me pick schools pls
stats:
-CC pre-reqs
~3.3 sci gpa ~3.5 overall
-21 AA, 23 TS, 21 PAT
-non-tradtional app
-CA resident (OOS friendly is required)
-female, 27, not URM

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it would help if I posted some schools I looked at roughly based on on stats, OOS friendly or west coast resident preference, and their CC credit policies:

ATSU- Arizona
Midwestern- Arizona
USC
Western University
Midwestern- Illinois
University of New England
ATSU- Missouri
Touro College
Roseman University (prefers no CC?)
Temple University
Oregon Health Science University (CC cap)
UNLV
University of Maryland
University of Colorado
University of Louisville (Casper requirement)

Do you have shadowing or volunteering experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
ATSU- Arizona → this is a very community service based school, so if you lack in volunteering, it wouldn't be the right school to apply to
Midwestern- Arizona → this school also values community service well
USC → never heard much about this school, but I know your stats fall within their range so this would be a good school
Western University → this would also be a good school as ur a CA resident
Midwestern- Illinois → this school, give or take not sure
University of New England → doesn't favor many applicants from west coast
ATSU- Missouri → community service based just like ASDOH listed above
Touro College → no idea
Roseman University (prefers no CC?) → they mainly look at your last 30 science credits, not sure if CC credits matter
Temple University → no idea
Oregon Health Science University (CC cap) → no idea, but since west coast, go for it
UNLV → no idea but west coast, apply here
University of Maryland → pretty competitive program, not sure if your GPA is a bit on the lower side
University of Colorado → you can apply here
University of Louisville (Casper requirement) → you can apply here but Its getting pretty late for the casper test as it takes two weeks for the school to receive it then 2 weeks for the school to confirm you completed your application

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I would say extensive (president of honors club at my CC, volunteering with various organizations, healthcare brigade in South America). Also received some awards and scholarships for volunteering which I did list in my app.

Main concern would be some of the volunteering (maybe even the bulk of it) is from when I was in CC several years ago. I have been shadowing a dentist for the past two years or so up until quarantine, which is how I got interested in dentistry.

Yes, I would say extensive (president of honors club at my CC, volunteering with various organizations, healthcare brigade in South America). Also received some awards and scholarships for volunteering which I did list in my app.

Main concern would be some of the volunteering (maybe even the bulk of it) is from when I was in CC several years ago. I have been shadowing a dentist for the past two years or so up until quarantine, which is how I got interested in dentistry.
I mean I'm really not sure how schools look at volunteering through recent times. I guess you can say it's better than doing nothing? At the same time though, many schools will wonder why you stopped and never continued.

When are you planning on submitting your application?

Yeah, never heard of the Casper requirement until further investigating, so I was pretty discouraged when I saw a few schools that do require it. Has anyone heard during this cycle about them being lenient with this requirement or allowing you to take it past the application date?

I have everything except Casper, which I was hoping some Casper schools might be more lenient on this requirement, so honestly within the next day or so..

Yeah, never heard of the Casper requirement until further investigating, so I was pretty discouraged when I saw a few schools that do require it. Has anyone heard during this cycle about them being lenient with this requirement or allowing you to take it past the application date?
They didn't speak about it but It really depends on how many people already have their applications finalized and get reviewed before they receive your casper score.

Tbh, with your DAT and GPA 10-12 schools would be a good number.

I did sort of mention why my non-traditional path was well.. non-traditional. I tried to do it without being dramatic while mentioning how it did derail me in some ways, though I did own up to not having a great gpa in the first place.

My sibling was injured in a mugging and I spent a year taking care of them, then I helped my parents with handy work for another 6 mo on top of that almost every day so they could acquire some money after selling it. Just little things and by the time I was done I felt like I didn't know where to start. Again, I used my PS to discuss this and other challenges briefly.

This may also explain the long gap in volunteering and also school.. About a year and a half after I started at the dental clinic

By the way, thank you for your input, much much appreciated!!

you should include loma linda on the list

I agree with most things said above, I disagree with some, such as you’ll want to apply broadly this cycle. 14-15 instate/oos friendly schools. Your DAT is average. These schools are not oos friendly to west coast students last time I checked and there’s probably others I missed: University of Maryland, University of Colorado, University of Louisville (Casper requirement). Some schools you missed that are oos friendly to west coast students and might be good to add to your list are: NYU and UDM. And yes, if you can get a letter from a spiritual mentor, apply to LLU as well.

I'm not Christian, Catholic, or spiritual at all really and felt it wasn't honest to have a spiritual letter written on my behalf, so that's why I decided not to apply to Loma Linda. Yes, I read a list of OOS friendly and now I'm realizing that isn't a blanket statement, some still have preferences to what OOS. NYU does not accept CC credit, or I would apply. Thank you for your input guys!