Deciding to become a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wisco

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a junior majoring in animal science and until a couple weeks ago I was on the path to become a veterinarian. But after talking to some recent vet grads I started thinking about becoming an MD. So my question is, has anyone been in my same shoes? How did you decide? I am pretty much set on becoming an MD but I just want to know other peoples opinions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

couple weeks, huh?

why don't you sit and think about it a little more...

Too old to make that decision now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I expect the prerequisites are about the same for both programs. You can assist the decision-making process by shadowing an MD, talking to him/her about their perspectives on the profession, loans, malpractice issues, training process, etc., and/or volunteering to help sick people to see if it's really what you want.

The pre-reqs that I have taken are exactly the same, so its no problem if I switch even though I am "too old" haha. As for the couple of weeks comment, I am asking if any pre med/med student had the same decision, and what was their major deciding factor? I am still on the fence, and would like to see what others think. I am currently looking for an MD to shadow to see if its right for me.

The pre-reqs that I have taken are exactly the same, so its no problem if I switch even though I am "too old" haha. As for the couple of weeks comment, I am asking if any pre med/med student had the same decision, and what was their major deciding factor? I am still on the fence, and would like to see what others think. I am currently looking for an MD to shadow to see if its right for me.

Well I think he made that comment in the context of you saying you're pretty set on going MD. I was never on the vet path but I damn near live in a zoo. My parents breed dogs (Akitas) and I have helped deliver puppies, sat in on a couple canine cesarean-sections, and given litters their immunizations at home. The great thing about animals is that they won't talk back to you. You're never going to have an animal come into your office telling you they think they have kennel cough because they read about it on Web-DVM. So that's my limited perspective.

Try and do some shadowing in both arenas and go with what you like better. Both are big commitments and there is no sense in being stuck working with people when you can't stand them and you'd rather work with animals, or vice-versa.