• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Etruscan

Mar 29, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So with my semester ending in two weeks, I've been thinking about what type of clinical experience I want to get involved with and comit to. My local hospital allows volunteering, but I'm not sure how much clinical experience that would give me considering I may end up out of the only steralyzing ..

I've been thinking about taking the EMT-B course at my university to become certified which would allow for long-time clinical experience as well as possible volunteering.

Or volunteering at the local NODA/red-cross

I'm not sure which direction to go in, I have multiple opportunities but not the widest array possible from a semi-rural environment.

Any tips to point me in the right direction would be wonderful :confused:

MemberName345

Apr 14, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe you should try to think of what would be the most meaningful experience. maybe if you volunteer at the hospital for a while they'll let you move into something different? You could call our email them to ask what opportunities they have available.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Maybe you should try to think of what would be the most meaningful experience. maybe if you volunteer at the hospital for a while they'll let you move into something different? You could call our email them to ask what opportunities they have available.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Pick the extracurricular that's the most meaningful to you. It's the one that's going to carry you the furthest. If you land an interview and can't back up why you did it other than "it's good clinical experience", you're not going to get that admission spot.

Make sure you can connect with why you're doing this and how it relates to your passion.

About the Ads

Etruscan

Mar 29, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This cannot be emphasized enough. Pick the extracurricular that's the most meaningful to you. It's the one that's going to carry you the furthest. If you land an interview and can't back up why you did it other than "it's good clinical experience", you're not going to get that admission spot.

Make sure you can connect with why you're doing this and how it relates to your passion.

Thanks for the insight,
I have been volunteering at the local animal shelter for quite some time, which I intend to remain doing, but I am not getting clinical experience through the shelter. (Unless kittens count as patients?? Then I'm certainly near enough to 'smell' them :laugh:)
I'm interested in becomming certified as an EMT in the basic course this summer, which would give me the opportunity to recieve the clinical experience, potential volunteer work or a little $$, and count as a decent EC all together....if I stick to it.
I've just got to decide where to go from here...I'm of indecisive nature.

TheKDizzle

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the insight,
I have been volunteering at the local animal shelter for quite some time, which I intend to remain doing, but I am not getting clinical experience through the shelter. (Unless kittens count as patients?? Then I'm certainly near enough to 'smell' them :laugh:)
I'm interested in becomming certified as an EMT in the basic course this summer, which would give me the opportunity to recieve the clinical experience, potential volunteer work or a little $$, and count as a decent EC all together....if I stick to it.
I've just got to decide where to go from here...I'm of indecisive nature.

What year are you? From starting EMT class to actually getting to volunteer, you might expect it to take around a year.

If you haven't yet had experience in a hospital, I would consider starting with that. At least see what it's like, even if it's just for the summer. You can even do that while taking your EMT cert course.

COMedic2Doc

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Now that I'm back from Iraq, on to applying for Me
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Having your EMT doesn't guarantee a job anymore, especially with more EMT programs than there used to be depending on the area where you live. I would recommend researching the field first to see if there are volunteer agencies in your area (incl. their requirements, etc) and go from there. At one point in time having an EMT cert was good enough for ECs, this is simply not the case anymore. I agree with volunteering at the local hospital, but don't presume anything about being able to actually work there. Good luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.