Deciding whether MD is still right for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barness

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently graduated from UF with a BS in Chemistry with a 3.72 sGPA. Last August, I took the MCAT and was underwhelmed when I got a 505. I was planning on retaking the MCAT back in June, but I had second thoughts on pursuing an MD altogether. On top of all of this, I lost a family member in this time frame and it further postponed my decision. If I were to apply to med school, I would have 2 gap years and am questioning whether if it is worth it in the end. In the upcoming year, I could fill in the gaps in my resume by retaking the MCAT and getting some clinical volunteering hours.

I've been belaboring over this decision whether or not to consider pursuing medicine, and I don't know where to turn. It's hard for me to buckle down and study for the MCAT if I don't even know if this is what I want to do. I just would like some advice on helping me figure out if I should continue in this pursuit or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise not applying to medical schools until you are 100% sure you want to pursue it.

In the meantime and you deal with your personal matters, I would say working in clinical environment while volunteering/shadowing on the side could give you some great insight as to if this is something you want to dedicate so much time to. There is nothing wrong with gap years. Half of my class took 2+ gap years and many of the best and most accomplished students in my class took many more (many 10+).

Reactions: 2 users
barness said:
It's hard for me to buckle down and study for the MCAT if I don't even know if this is what I want to do.

Gilakend said:
I would advise not applying to medical schools until you are 100% sure you want to pursue it.

In the meantime and you deal with your personal matters, I would say working in clinical environment while volunteering/shadowing on the side could give you some great insight as to if this is something you want to dedicate so much time to. There is nothing wrong with gap years. Half of my class took 2+ gap years and many of the best and most accomplished students in my class took many more (many 10+).
Agree with this; medicine is a costly pursuit and if you are not 100% committed/on board it will waste your money and your time

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, also a UF alum. Go Gators

2 gap years is totally fine. I took 2 and I got in alright.

Maybe take some time to do some soul searching. Take a really long hike and just think the whole time. Talk with people who know you well and will be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. There's absolutely no need to start med school right away if you do end up going

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

I recently graduated from UF with a BS in Chemistry with a 3.72 sGPA. Last August, I took the MCAT and was underwhelmed when I got a 505. I was planning on retaking the MCAT back in June, but I had second thoughts on pursuing an MD altogether. On top of all of this, I lost a family member in this time frame and it further postponed my decision. If I were to apply to med school, I would have 2 gap years and am questioning whether if it is worth it in the end. In the upcoming year, I could fill in the gaps in my resume by retaking the MCAT and getting some clinical volunteering hours.

I've been belaboring over this decision whether or not to consider pursuing medicine, and I don't know where to turn. It's hard for me to buckle down and study for the MCAT if I don't even know if this is what I want to do. I just would like some advice on helping me figure out if I should continue in this pursuit or not.
Only you can answer this. Medicine is a calling, like being a fireman or a priest.

Agree with this; medicine is a costly pursuit and if you are not 100% committed/on board it will waste your money and your time
100% agree with the above poster, I had 4 total gap years and am matriculating now (well next monday I start)(I additionally lost a family member over the past year). The time passes either way, you have to decide whether medicine is your calling or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anything personally valuable to an individual takes time.

Evaluate whether you truly want to go into medicine. If so, then take your time, handle your pressing personal matters first, and then gradually work your way into prepping yourself for the long haul ahead.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, wherever you may choose to traverse! :)

Reactions: 1 users