Deciding whether or not to delay application by retaking MCAT--HELP~~!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

businesspremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating taking the MCAT a 3rd time...

I have GPA of 3.52, and my MCATs have been: Aug 03 - 25Q (9V 8P 8B) and Apr 04 - 24R (9V 8P 7B), excellent EC's, worked part-time jobs all through college, excellent LOR's, two summers of clinical experience, and various and extensive research experience (toxicology lab, market research, engineering research), many campus honors and accolades, and a Texas Resident...What do you all think? thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I would at least check the box that says you are taking the Aug2004 test, even if you end up not taking it- you can contact schools to tell them that later. I would definitely retake it because you risk being rejected pre-interview with such a low MCAT score. However, if you commit to retaking it, you should ensure that you don't sit for the exam unless you are certain you can score at least 3 points higher than your last administration- and certainly don't go down again in scores- otherwise, it will look like you are not dedicating yourself to improving. If you do not take standardized tests well and you do nt think you have enough time to do better in August, then you probably should not re-take and just hope for the best.

are you confident that you could crack a 30 in august? you definitely do need to take the MCAT again, but you may need to apply next year rather than delay your app if you don't get near or above a 30 to tell you the truth.

my 2 cents though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Andrew_Doan said:
I'd take the MCAT again and make sure you score well before submitting an application. It's a lot of $$$ to apply without knowing your scores.

that said, if you are definitely going to apply this cycle i would recommend sending your applications in ASAP. the processing delays are ridiculous and it's better for the school to have processed your information and then wait for the score to come in october than to turn everything in around october and wait til november for them to even look at your app for the first time.

my 2 cents

thank you all for your input and help and advice...i really appreciate anything else you can think of that would help me. i am definitely applying this cycle...