Decision between PSU and WVU's medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tapepsi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really need some advice and what better place to get it then from online strangers. I was just accepted to Penn State (I'm a PA resident) but I've also been accepted to WVU. I can't decide which one I'd rather go to.

PSU
pros
-instate tuition (35 k) excluding living costs
-great reputation
-good program, hospital, faculty

cons
-location (4 hours away and it's Hershey)

WVU
pros
-great location (less than an hour away)
-good reputation

cons
-out of state tuition (46 K excluding living costs)
-3 months for rotations serving an underserved rural area

Thoughts? I need help please

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's enough of a difference between these schools to sacrifice the money. Go to PSU.

I really need some advice and what better place to get it then from online strangers. I was just accepted to Penn State (I'm a PA resident) but I've also been accepted to WVU. I can't decide which one I'd rather go to.

PSU
pros
-instate tuition (35 k) excluding living costs
-great reputation
-good program, hospital, faculty

cons
-location (4 hours away and it's Hershey)

WVU
pros
-great location (less than an hour away)
-good reputation

cons
-out of state tuition (46 K excluding living costs)
-3 months for rotations serving an underserved rural area

Thoughts? I need help please

I know this will sound cliche but...where will you feel the happiest? (Ignore my sig when answering this question)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this will sound cliche but...where will you feel the happiest? (Ignore my sig when answering this question)

I don't know...I liked both places. I felt like the students were happier at PSU, but being closer to home could make me happier? :confused:

I don't think there's enough of a difference between these schools to sacrifice the money. Go to PSU.

Yeah too bad I won't get IS tuition at WVU even though I probably live closer to the school than most of the WV residents that are going. :laugh:

11K cheaper at PSU? I'd go there. Since when have pre-meds all developed a carefree attitude towards money? Would you take out 11K more in car loans for a car that's essentially the same as another?

11K cheaper at PSU? I'd go there. Since when have pre-meds all developed a carefree attitude towards money? Would you take out 11K more in car loans for a car that's essentially the same as another?

Agree. Another way I think of it is someone saying to you, "Here is a check for $50,000 to go to this school over that school. Are you going to take it?"

Helped put things in perspective for me.

You guys are right and Penn state is an awesome school I just wish it was closer.

You guys are right and Penn state is an awesome school I just wish it was closer.

4 hours really isn't that bad. It's a pretty easy weekend trip through the middle of BF central PA. You'll be fine. Go with Penn State.

PSU for sure.

Edit: Hail to Pitt! :p

PSU for sure.

Edit: Hail to Pitt! :p

Ha ha well I've always liked both the nittany lion and the panther but I guess now that I'm going to PSU I technically can't like my rival. :laugh:

Penn State goes hard...excellent research opportunities...good neighborhood. I also believe there are "girls" as well...

Well, it has already been hammered into you... but I would also say PSU.

I just shadowed a anesthesia resident who graduated from WVU two years ago, and she straight up said she hated it. She was from West Virginia too.

Still the only person who I have talked to that directly told me not to apply to their alma mater.

Really? Am I gonna be the one who has to say it?

PSU is 3 miles away from Hershey Park! Amusement park for post-exam stress relief, virtually unlimited chocolate... what more could ask for in a prestigious medical university?

Really? Am I gonna be the one who has to say it?

PSU is 3 miles away from Hershey Park! Amusement park for post-exam stress relief, virtually unlimited chocolate... what more could ask for in a prestigious medical university?

If this were true, then PSU School of Medicine would be really famous. For graduating obese physicians, that is :D