Decision Help: Masters in Human Anatomy, MSBS, or post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highdesertarcher95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Background: I am 2 years removed from my undergraduate studies where I graduated with a 3.488 cGPA and a 3.42 sGPA. I had a hiccup with a 2.89 GPA my second to last semester and followed it with a 3.95 GPA. I decided to get a job in my local hospital after graduation as an OR Assistant and have since moved on to working as an anesthesia technician (roughly 2 years full time), while continuing my work with an individual who has cerebral palsy (~3000 hrs). My work in the hospital has provided me with ~4000 hrs of direct patient care and has allowed me to realize that I need to become a physician.

I have taken the MCAT once and scored sub 500. Not my best effort. I was scheduled to retake it this month but have since rescheduled to early August. Knowing that my test date was cancelled I decided to apply to a few masters and post-bacc programs back in April. I have an interview with Temple ACHS post-bacc and have recently been accepted into Colorado's Masters in Modern Human Anatomy and Drexel's MSBS program. I was wondering what my best option would be? I know my ugGPA isn't the best but also know that I have a possibility of getting into my state School with a good MCAT score. I was shooting for around a 510 or better. Would I be better off doing the Temple program, if I get accepted and improve my ugGPA while focusing on improving my MCAT score and continuing to volunteer, or would a Masters in Human Anatomy that incorporates research and a cadaver dissection make me a better applicant. I am by no means in a rush to apply this cycle and would not mind pushing off applications to next year. The Drexel program that I was accepted to was not my first choice but was somewhat of a 'safety' for me. It's expensive but it allows for reinvention and MCAT preparation with the second year dedicated to taken MS1 curriculum per the website. I am still waiting to hear back from a SMP and Vanderbilt's MSBS program as well.

Do I need to prove myself more as a student? Would I be better off doing a post bacc and pad my ugGPA or establish a strong graduate GPA preferably a 4.0? I know that without a good MCAT score my odds are slim to none and I need to get the best score possible to make my dreams a reality. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Update: I was just accepted to Vanderbilt's MSBS program.

Still looking for any possible feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I'm a couple years removed from the app process but in your shoes I would throw all my eggs in whatever basked means raising my uGPA to the 3.6 range (if possible) and raising my MCAT score. I would do this as cheaply as I could (if money is an issue) and i would stick with one or two part time volunteering/clinical experiences while I do this, to make sure I have ammo when it comes time to apply.

Also I may be wrong about this but temple program might be a "score high ewnough on the mcat and you're in". If this is the case I'd strongly consider this as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

I'm a couple years removed from the app process but in your shoes I would throw all my eggs in whatever basked means raising my uGPA to the 3.6 range (if possible) and raising my MCAT score. I would do this as cheaply as I could (if money is an issue) and i would stick with one or two part time volunteering/clinical experiences while I do this, to make sure I have ammo when it comes time to apply.

Also I may be wrong about this but temple program might be a "score high ewnough on the mcat and you're in". If this is the case I'd strongly consider this as well.
Thank you for your advice! I wish I could just focus on one job but I have tried to find a replacement for the home Healthcare job but no one is interested in that type of work. It takes the right individual and unfortunately my client needs assistance into and out of his chair which requires the physical ability to lift him in and out of his chair. I have spent the last two years trying to get someone to take over with no luck and I'd feel terrible leaving the family high and dry with no one to assist in his care.

I feel that taking classes at my undergrad institution for a year or so could get me where I need to be but I'd have to decrease my workload.

i'm no adcom but this home healthcare job seems pretty admirable and seems like something that would look good on an application. I understand not wanting to leave this person with no replacement but wouldn't you have to in order to do a postbacc elsewhere or go to medical school?

I can tell you that the single best thing I did was give myself time (3 years) to get into medical school. Gave me time to take all my prereq classes, gain good clinical experience, study for the mcat (all funded by savings from a previous "real" job).i also encourage you to keep reading SDN posts to see how people in your position have gotten into med school.
Not saying your circumstances are easy. But for whatever it's worth I still think med school is a good possibility if you raise the gpa, crush MCAT, or crush one of these post-bacc programs.

Yes, I would have to leave. I understand, thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!