Decision Help: University of Maryland vs. Virginia Tech Carilion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters

its_always_a_scam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please share their thoughts? I'm leaning heavily towards UMD, but wanted others' perspectives.

University of Maryland

Pros:
In-state tuition = ~33 k a year which is not bad at allllllll
Been around longer -> has a good reputation
Closer to family (~40 minute drive) - since I've never moved far from home, this would be one less major change in my life since I'd be living in Baltimore
Baltimore has the whole "city" aspect
Curriculum structure allows for flexibility in daily schedule (four hours in the morning, do whatever the rest of the day)
Opportunities to add a masters on later if you want
Big urban city has lots of patient variety
Great match list
Great choices in restaurants, going out to eat.

Cons:
Cost-of-living is higher cuz of the city aspect for apartments
Area can be unsafe in some places
Food desert in terms of grocery shopping but can be remedied by Uber

*Larger class size is both pro and con for me because less attention is given to any one student in particular unless they make more of an effort and yet there is more opportunity to meet people who you get along with really well and who could become lifelong colleagues/friends -> more diversity in class
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virginia Tech Carilion

Pros:
Cool curriculum - super small class size means more attention from faculty and during clerkships, etc to get LOR's for residency
Brand new facilities
Required research built into curriculum - makes you stand out in residencies
Pass/Fail grading (also, though this could be a Con depending on how you look at it)
Small-town feel to it - not sure if that's exactly a pro, but it kinda beats the ghetto vibe I get when I go to some parts of Baltimore
Lower cost-of-living (under my impression this is true) compared to Baltimore

Cons:
Hasn't been around that long, so reputation is an issue, although first graduating class had great Step 1 scores
Private school, so tuition is always gonna be higher = ~44k
Not much food options as compared to baltimore
Small class size = less diversity in the class, less opportunity to meet lots of new people who you might mesh well with
Further from home and possible residency placements
Pass/Fail grading system - may be a good thing, however, in terms of knowing where you stand in the class

Members don't see this ad.

Just from reading your descriptions, it seems like you want to go to UMD. This will be four precious years of your life. Go where your gut is telling you that you'll be happiest

Just from reading your descriptions, it seems like you want to go to UMD. This will be four precious years of your life. Go where your gut is telling you that you'll be happiest

Really? I was trying to be objective but I suppose a third party would see better if that was true or not. Thank you for your input! Perhaps @Goro has some insight?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having same debate between my state school (VCU) and VTC. Your pros/cons list almost exactly mirrored my thoughts about these two- class size, tuition, curriculum, reputation, etc. My state school was my top choice from day 1 and I'm now set on going there, but before I wanted to interview at VTC to rule out any doubt. Biggest draw about VTC was the small class size and research, but I don't think those two factors outweigh all the pros about VCU. Lists can be helpful when the two are neck to neck, but I definitely think it's more like a feels thing...where feels right for you to go. Which seems like UMD like someone else said. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Umd for sure. It's no comparison compared to vtech in terms of research funding reputation and clinical training. U ll get a lot more complex cases at Maryland compared to carillon clinic. Pm me if u have any more questions

University of Maryland.

Baltimore is a fun city to live in.

Great restaurants, a lot of city pride, interesting neighborhoods, an excellent local symphony, and cool music and arts festivals (http://www.artscape.org).

Although the school's immediate area isn't the best, I strongly disagree with your characterization of the city as having a "ghetto vibe".

The school is a 5-10 minute walk from Camden Yard, one of the best baseball parks in the country.

You're a 10-15 minute drive from neighborhoods with median home prices >650K.

Take a look here re some housing options in the city (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/about/baltimore/moving/choosing_place_live/neighborhoods.html).

Good luck.