Decision regret (DR) of patients after post-RP XRT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://news.doximity.com/entries/4504988?user_id=1611446

Interestingly, four times as many patients regret undergoing RP rather than salvage/adjuvant XRT. Urologist should therefore not hesitate to refer patients for post-RP adjuvantly rather than waiting for PSA failure. Also, Urologists need to discuss pros/cons of RP (particularly in high risk patients) better, explain that post-op XRT may be necessary and consider referral for definitive XRT.

Members don't see this ad.

In other news, water is wet and the sky is blue.

They need to go publish this in the J Urol and at the AUA if the authors want anything to change as I'm sure all of us likely knew these results anecdotally. I don't think very many urologists read the "Journal of medical imaging and radiation oncology" unfortunately.

Prostate cancer by far has the most amount of shadiness going on. I see the occasional breast surgeon doing too many mastectomies or IR guy trying to offer primary RFA for early stage lung, but the cryo/hifu/inappropriate RP by urologists takes the cake by far in my personal experience in the community.

A pcp can be involved in the workup of a breast or lung nodule (sometimes in conjunction with pulmonary), but the elevated psa workup goes straight to urology and they generally end up being the driver of subsequent care.

Last edited: