Decision time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shundert

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get a little advice. I have been fortunate to have been admitted to both the University of MD, my state school, and the University of Vermont. I think I would prefer life in Vermont, but when I looked at the rankings, Maryland is a top 50 school, while Vermont is not even listed. Is this important in terms of my future and residency options? Not to mention the fact that I would save a ton of money going to Maryland. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The simple answer is go where you see yourself exceling the most, all other things should be secondary, unless you deem them to be otherwise.

shundert said:
I was hoping I could get a little advice. I have been fortunate to have been admitted to both the University of MD, my state school, and the University of Vermont. I think I would prefer life in Vermont, but when I looked at the rankings, Maryland is a top 50 school, while Vermont is not even listed. Is this important in terms of my future and residency options? Not to mention the fact that I would save a ton of money going to Maryland. Thanks for any advice.

I'm actually also debating between UMD and another school that isn't in the top 50, but is closer to home. UMD is an awesome, awesome school. I absolutely loved it there, but I think I'm most likely going to go with the other school b/c after evaluating my options, I figured I could get just as good an education there and have the same opps as at UMD, but with an added plus of being close to home. So the best piece of advice I can give you is to think about what aspects are important to you in a school, determine which of these aspects each school offers, and if either school is lacking in something that the other has, ask yourself if this is something you wouldn't mind compromising (such as location, etc.). This is helping me come closer to making a decision, although it is still going to be a tough one. I hope this helps. Best of luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Those rankings are crap...UVM is pretty rural, so you're not going to see the same kind of variety in your cases that you'd get at UMD. However, the life styles at the two schools are vastly different. If you think you'd be happy in Burlington, go there by all means. Your future isn't dictated by US NEWS rankings, but by how well you do on the boards and your LOR's from the clinicians. Being happy for 4 years is more important than anything else

If you want to get a competitive residency, go to UMD