Decisions decisions...Please assist!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jr MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
This is my first post. I'm so confused on when and how to study for my MCAT. I thought I'd just wing it with no plan but from reading various posts, that is not the smartest thing to do. So I made an account and this site is legit. Please comment and assist! :) :thumbup:

So I am a junior and I am taking the toughest course load of my college career! I have physics with a (useless) lab, Organic chemistry, Human physiology with a lab, and Human sexuality. It's been rough but im doing pretty well. I hope to apply next semester, but who knows what may happen.

Now, in preparation for my MCAT, I was thinking of taking the princeton review course this winter. Then I saw the Sn2ed plan and was astonished. The only thing is would I have time because I have to take Ochem II with a lab and Physics II with a lab next semester with some other classes too. I want to take the test in March or April. I just need a plan that would work so I don't look back and regret anything. I know I can get in if I plan well and work hard and I'm really good at working hard:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Any suggestions?! Thanks a ton it means a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I would follow S2nd's plan. The MCAT is not something you want to work into your schedule. If you have a free summer put in a good three months and rape it. It would be better to take a gap year and not rush the mcat. During the gap year you can only build your application more. So unless you are completely one minded and want to go to medical school right after your graduate UG I would not rush it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Take this with a grain of salt, but I would follow S2nd's plan. The MCAT is not something you want to work into your schedule. If you have a free summer put in a good three months and rape it. It would be better to take a gap year and not rush the mcat. During the gap year you can only build your application more. So unless you are completely one minded and want to go to medical school right after your graduate UG I would not rush it.

Yea that's what I was battling with, but a whole year is a looong time and my advisor wants me to continue IF and only IF I do really good this semester, which I am. I really like the Sn2ed plan because it lined out...all I have to do is follow it. (Not saying its easy). It's something I really need to think about. ;/ I really appreciate your input though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation when I was studying for the MCAT. I had OChem II and Physics II plus labs in each in my spring semester. If you don't want to take a gap year, just take those two classes with labs and maybe another really easy class to get you up to 12 credits. That will give you plenty of time to study for the MCAT and to do well in those two important courses. When I did that, I took a princeton course on sat/sun, and it all worked out fine. Despite what others might say, having one semester of 12 credits will have no affect on your application.

Take the test during the summer. Studying will be no big deal because you will have just learned a lot of the stuff. Orgo and physiology should all be review, so there goes the biology section. You also said you were taking physics, so you dont need to relearn it that much. Gen chem will need more work.

Spend now and next semester reading to practice for verbal.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

Take the test during the summer. Studying will be no big deal because you will have just learned a lot of the stuff. Orgo and physiology should all be review, so there goes the biology section. You also said you were taking physics, so you dont need to relearn it that much. Gen chem will need more work.

Spend now and next semester reading to practice for verbal.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

So should I study during the school.year?? And should I still take the class this winter??

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using SDN Mobile

I was in a similar situation when I was studying for the MCAT. I had OChem II and Physics II plus labs in each in my spring semester. If you don't want to take a gap year, just take those two classes with labs and maybe another really easy class to get you up to 12 credits. That will give you plenty of time to study for the MCAT and to do well in those two important courses. When I did that, I took a princeton course on sat/sun, and it all worked out fine. Despite what others might say, having one semester of 12 credits will have no affect on your application.

Wow a success story!
So how did you do on the MCAT if you don't mind me asking? And you only studied on the weekends??? When did you take the test??

Thanks!!

Treat MCAT studying like a 3 hour class. Don't take 16 or 17 hours that semester cause you'll die. It's perfectly feasible to study for it while taking classes. You just need to set aside an hour or two every day and have a little discipline.

Can we not please?

Wow a success story!
So how did you do on the MCAT if you don't mind me asking? And you only studied on the weekends??? When did you take the test??

Thanks!!

I took Ochem II + lab, Physics II + lab, and business ethics for a total of 12 credits. I did my princeton course on sat/sun from 9-230, and I dedicated tue/thur from 8-930 to MCAT studying every week. If there was ever a sat or sun without a scheduled class, I still used that time for MCAT studying. My course ran from the beginning of February through mid April, and then I did AAMC practice tests for the following 3-4 weekends. Finally I took my test on May 12th. I got a 12/10/12, and I felt like my preparation plan worked out well.

I think taking a smaller amount of hours is your best bet, and actually standard practice at my school. We routinely drop down to 12-14 credits during the MCAT semester in order to have more time to study. Worked well for most of my friends who have since been admitted to medical schools.

I think taking a smaller amount of hours is your best bet, and actually standard practice at my school. We routinely drop down to 12-14 credits during the MCAT semester in order to have more time to study. Worked well for most of my friends who have since been admitted to medical schools.

Yea the thing is I already had to take 13 hours my spring semester of my sophomore year due to money issues. I hope med schools understand.