Decisions...decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illinoisboy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

How are you? Currently, I am a little stressed out! I am trying to decide whether or not to pursue a career in medicine or not even though I've been admitted. If I go, I will be in the class of 2007 at UHS. I am 27 right now, finishing up a masters in biology. My girlfirend and I had to put off going this coming fall due to a relatively late UHS notice of admission, after having been on the waitlist for a while, and some career considerations for her. One of my main concerns is my age. Am I too old to be shooting for this?? It feels like it sometimes, especially with having to wait another year to begin!! Sometimes I feel like I might be the only person out there who feels like this!! If anyone has any opinions on my situation or personal experiences I'd be glad to hear from them.

Talk to you soon,
Illinois boy

Members don't see this ad.

No one can answer the question for you.

If you are concerned about your age, just know that there are many people in medical school your age and older.

If you want to be a physician, then take the opportunity.

Again, only you can weigh all of the pros and cons and make the decision that will ultimately be best for you.

Good luck with your decision.

I am 40 years old and have certainly wondered on many occasions if I am just too old for this process. Then I think:

* In five years when I graduate from medical school I will be 45 years old.

* I'll be 45 years old in 5 years ANYWAY.

* I'll be 45 years old and finally doing what I've been dreaming about all my life.

If you can say these things and believe you have the energy level to manage what is ahead, then don't let your age, or any age hold you back. It is never too late to stop reaching for the stars.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the AVERAGE age of our med school class is 26 or 27.

There are ppl who are 50 + in our class, so your age should not be something to hold you back.

I agree with marleybfour. when you get done you are going to be the same age as if you worked for the same amount of time. I am 27 and I will be starting my first year at azcom. Before I started this whole process I had to make the same decision, moreover, when I graduated college I didn't want to go to medical school because it would take to long before I would start working. It's all relative and it's only a decision you can make. When I start practice I will be nearly 40 and that's ok with me because I will be livin my dream and doing it well into my 60's and 70's. god willing. If your going to start next year I suggest work, play and make your decision in 6-9 months. Good luck