Decisions for early decision...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thomallama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, 3.93 GPA, 28Q MCAT (8 ps, 11 vr, 9 bs)

Decent EC's including some research (no pub) and 100 hours of shadowing.

GA resident, nontrad.

I know my MCAT is the deciding factor. I'm trying to decide which is better: Early decision at Mercer (allows in-state only, mean MCAT of 27) or MCG (95% in-state), mean MCAT 30.4, average GPA of 3.67.

Mercer is private while MCG is state-run...there's a difference of $12k a year in tuition.

Suggestions? Thanks a ton, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, 3.93 GPA, 28Q MCAT (8 ps, 11 vr, 9 bs)

Decent EC's including some research (no pub) and 100 hours of shadowing.

GA resident, nontrad.

I know my MCAT is the deciding factor. I'm trying to decide which is better: Early decision at Mercer (allows in-state only, mean MCAT of 27) or MCG (95% in-state), mean MCAT 30.4, average GPA of 3.67.

Mercer is private while MCG is state-run...there's a difference of $12k a year in tuition.

Suggestions? Thanks a ton, guys.

Disclaimer: just graduated from Mercer so I'm biased

Go where you're most likely to succeed. That extra $12k a year in tuition compared to a career of a physician's salary in your chosen field is well worth it. It may be hard to know for sure where you'll be most likely to succeed but consider it in this order:

1. If you get accepted to only one school - that is the best school in the country because they're going to make you a doctor
2. If you are fortunate enough to be accepted multiple places consider the following: big vs. small class size, lecture vs small group, 9 hours of class per week vs however many MCG has, match list, etc. etc.

Finally, be realistic about your chances. Your GPA is more than competitive for either school but your MCAT is really more in the Mercer range. I think you're chance of getting in to Mercer EDP is very good (I was on the ADCOM last year). I can't speak for MCG.

Good luck - learn about each school and decide where you could do the best if you get multiple acceptances. Money should truly be a secondary consideration. Either way you're looking at a ton of debt

Members don't see this ad :)