Decisions for summer programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmijo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some input on this. I got into theses Minority Medical Education Program sites: Chicago Consortium & Baylor College of Med/Rice U.

In Chicago I will be housed @ Northwestern Med and will visit Loyola, Rush, and UCPritzker. Here are the program highlights:
Educational program designed around Individual needs of students. Computer labs, problem-based learning (PBL), development of clinical skills and research opportunities. Physician mentor and clinical experiences. Opportunity to visit and learn about each of the four Chicago medical schools. Cultural experiences and chance to see Chicago sights. Downtown, lakeside housing for all students with available educational support.

In Houston I will take three courses for credit. Two @ Rice: Human function&devol., and tech writing in the medical field (for letter grades) and one course at Baylor med: precptorship(P/F). I get to choose the field of preceptorship.

Both pay stipends, Houston $300 and Chicago $600. I will also take two full length MCATS @ both sites.

Here is what I was thinking. I will be able to get info/network at four med school in Chicago, but not as much concentrated time at anyone spot. In Houston I make contacts for the entire six weeks at Baylor, but it is in partnership w/ the TX to admit TX res. so does it really help since i'm a CA res? At chicago there are mostly private so res. is not a factor. In the long run what is better?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the choice hinges on the question of whether you will have a better opprtunity for acceptance in Texas or Chicago, but of what the program will do for you as a person, as a student and as a premedical student. I am unable to make that judgement because I do not know you. By know you, I do not mean grades, etc., but know you as a person. At this juncture, choosing between two programs, personal issues should take precedence.

Unless the deadline for a decision is imminent, you might ask each program if they can put you in touch with students who have been in the program recently. Pick their brains, sample opinion if you can. You might particularly want to consult students as much like you as possible, if you can determine that. For example, males (if you are male), females otherwise. It is not only the location and formal structure of the programs that are important, but the internal environment and comfort level, for example. As I often remark, being a happy camper often makes a big difference in academic and social performance, as well as building self-confidence.

I'd choose Baylor. The fact that you spent the summer at a very good med school will stand out on your app. I understand that you are concerned aboutnot havign a chance to go to Baylor since >70% of the students are TX residents. However, think of which of the two sites would look better on your app. I was in Baylor last summer doing the SMART program and was accepted to the MMEP the year before but I chose another site. The area where Baylor is rocks and Rice University is nice too. their program is very well structured and the medical center is huge.