Decisions on MS or just apply regular cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sauce321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I've been accepted into 2 MS programs so far the GU SMP and BU MAMS. Both seem like really good choices but.. I am not 100% sure its necessary for me.

cGPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6
MCAT- 505 (pretty low...)

Strong community service and leadership. Good amount of clinical but nothing too crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

So... I've been accepted into 2 MS programs so far the GU SMP and BU MAMS. Both seem like really good choices but.. I am not 100% sure its necessary for me.

cGPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6

Strong community service and leadership. Good amount of clinical but nothing too crazy.
You are more than fine for most DO programs. What are you wanting to pursue?

cGPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6

Retake your MCAT. You are good for MD if you get a strong MCAT. Doing an SMP program will NOT help you. Your MCAT is the issue, not your GPA.

DO MCAT averages are pretty low and you can get into DO schools. Though, you should retake and get a better score so you can apply MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
An SMP would be a waste of money with your stats. You’re good to apply DO , and if you retake and score higher on the MCAT you could be good for MD.

Reactions: 1 user
You are more than fine for most DO programs. What are you wanting to pursue?
I was looking into becoming an OB... but who knows. I am not sure if I want to be a DO or MD though.

Last edited:
I was looking into becoming an OB... but who knows. I am not sure if I want to be a DO or MD though.

Always go MD. DO is a backup if you absolutely cannot get into a US MD school.

I agree with everyone above. Your GPA is strong enough to apply to MD schools but you just need to focus on your MCAT. SMPs/Masters are for people who have low undergrad GPAs, and have to prove that they can handle the medical school curriculum. Focus on your MCAT because a strong MCAT 515+ could get you into an MD School if that is what you want to do because it seems like you are unsure.

Most importantly, do what you are passionate about whether that is MD, DO, or OB that is your decision.

Last edited:
Not sure why you already applied to a back up Masters program before you know if you'll need it. Spend some time with an MCAT tutor from a local college to blow away any question bank. An MBA/MHA, other random masters degrees rarely helps anyone; a post-bacc is going to help a lot more, and many of them won't take you if they would only be repeating the same courses you took at your college and they'll be straight up about it when you contact them. And make sure you take the USMLE, probably through CK, even if you're not applying MD.

You could definitely retake the MCAT if you want for MD. A 505 would be considered above average for DO and your GPA would be above average as well. Think about what you want to do after med school though. If you want to do primary care, go DO because you'll probably get it. If you want to specialize, it's much easier to go the MD route, but not impossible if you go DO.