Decisions: Univer of Iowa, Carver vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucky21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to be accepted to both schools recently, and I would appreciate any input. I am OOS for both schools, however, the way i understand it SUNY downstate students are eligible for instate tuition after the first year, which is a big drawing fact.
Another factor is that SUNY downstate is in NYC vs Iowa which is in Iowa city. however, the facilities and the program at Iowa seem to be stronger than at downstate and is reflected in its ranking.
I just wanted to see if there were any current students at either school, or just anyone who would be able to provide any helpful input. thanks in advance, and good luck to the rest of you currently applying or on waitlists.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting into both schools! If you are right about being eligible for instate tuition at Downstate, you would save roughly 20k total based on the MSAR estimates. There are definitely alot of cultural and extracurricular opportunities that you would gain from being in NYC compared to Iowa City, which is a big plus. Iowa's facilities and program definitely very impressive, but in the end you would get a quality medical education at either school. You might also want to think about where you want to end up after med school. Iowa matches mostly to the Midwest, while Downstate matches mostly to NY/east coast.