Declining an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flako

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it make you look bad if you cancel an interview and then reapply to this same school the following year?

Members don't see this ad.

flako said:
Does it make you look bad if you cancel an interview and then reapply to this same school the following year?
what are the circumstances, why are you doing this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about declining that interview because this is my backup school. I interviewed at other schools that I would rather attend but did not get accepted, and I believe I have a better chance if I reapply again next year. Has anyone been in this situation? What should I do?

flako said:
I'm thinking about declining that interview because this is my backup school. I interviewed at other schools that I would rather attend but did not get accepted, and I believe I have a better chance if I reapply again next year. Has anyone been in this situation? What should I do?

It's not going to be possible to get useful opinions without explaining why you wouldn't want to attend your backup. Is it a matter of ranking, a geographical issue, etc? And isn't this sort of the point of a backup -- someplace you would attend if you didn't get in elsewhere? Some schools are harder to get into as reapplicants, so you may end up screwing yourself out of medical school unless you are a really strong candidate or plan to do something substantial to improve your resume.

It may hurt you. I interviewed at a school last year, knowing that I wasn't going to go there because I wanted to try to take a year off, better my application, and get into my first choice school the next year. I had already been rejected by my first choice school about a week before the interview but I decided to still take the interview to just learn about the school and see if I wanted to apply there the next year. When I went into the interview, I told them about how I was planning on taking a year off and I would reapply the next year. I said that I needed a break. I didn't tell them anything about not getting into my first choice school and wanting to try again, I just told them that I wanted to take a year off to work and clear my mind. I reapplied this year to them and they put my application on hold, which it still is. I called and asked them why I didn't get an interview this year but I did last year and they said that it was because of my interview last year and my lack of strong commitment then. From my experiences, it may hurt you to turn down the interview but reapply next year.