PhD/PsyD Declining an offer after accepting it due to funding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LauraH8214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a tricky question. I accepted an offer on April 15th to a very expensive program. My money fell through and it will be impossible to attend in the fall without accumulating 150k in debt at least, so i plan to call and back out. I am sad and to do it but weighing the long-term financial burden really put things in perspective. There is just no way. My question is can i reapply to funded programs for fall 2016 or will I be black listed after this incident?

Members don't see this ad.

To second what has already been said, you are not obligated to take on that kind of debt and are wise to avoid it. I would hope that the faculty would understand your situation. If it's not a funded position, they will probably not be too upset about it.Even if they were, I believe any kind of "blacklisting" would violate your FERPA rights. The faculty are likely aware that they cannot share that kind of information regardless of how angry they are at you.