Jan 23, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
What do people think about declining an acceptance at a PsyD program because it's not your first choice and you want to try again next year. I've been accepted to a school but have a gut feeling that it is not the program for me. It has a great reputation and covers all the bases, but it just doesn't feel like a fit.

Would it be unwise to decline an offer at a great program because it doesn't feel right just to apply again next year? Part of me fears that I may be giving up an amazing opportunity tat I won't get back but I can't help the feeling that I just don't see myself being happy at the program for 5 years.

My rational thinking leads me to believe I should accept while an emotional side of me is very resistant.

Thoughts?

Mar 18, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
I think it would be helpful to hear more from you about what this emotional side is saying to you... It doesnt feel like a fit- that happens, but why? I know it can be tough, but even the gut has a voice we can discern when listened to hard enough :)

Markp

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Psychologist
What do people think about declining an acceptance at a PsyD program because it's not your first choice and you want to try again next year. I've been accepted to a school but have a gut feeling that it is not the program for me. It has a great reputation and covers all the bases, but it just doesn't feel like a fit.

Would it be unwise to decline an offer at a great program because it doesn't feel right just to apply again next year? Part of me fears that I may be giving up an amazing opportunity tat I won't get back but I can't help the feeling that I just don't see myself being happy at the program for 5 years.

My rational thinking leads me to believe I should accept while an emotional side of me is very resistant.

Thoughts?
I have one question... Is it fully funded? I don't want to make it sound like it's all about the money because it's not, but a fully funded Psy.D. is a rare bird and worthy of extra consideration. I certainly would not pay $100k to be miserable for 5 years.

If it is fully funded, can you get over it and go for the amazing opportunity?

If not, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, you'll get over the "loss", and apply again next year to programs that are a better fit.

Mark

Jan 23, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Definitely not fully funded. In fact, I'll be taking out $100,000+ in loans. But at the same time, I'm having a hard time getting over declining an offer for a doctorate program. What if I don't get in the next time I apply? Is that totally irrational and logically I will only improve my chances with field-related experience added to my CV?

Jan 25, 2010
Status
Is it just this program in particular that doesn't feel right, or the pursuit of a doctoral degree in psychology, more generally? I'm going off one of your previous posts...

A healthy dose of apprehension is normal (I hope, I have it!!), but in theory, if the program satisfies everything you're looking for, is there something above and beyond "normal" fears that is holding you back?

skipsy

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2010
Southwest
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
If there is one program in particular you are holding out for instead, then I would seriously rethink your decision to decline your current offer. But, if there is something big that is turning you off about the school you got into then that might be a different story. A healthy dose of apprehension about diving into a 5 year program that you aren't 100% sure on is okay I think...but you are the one who has to decide if it's a "healthy dose" or not!

Jan 25, 2010
Status
If there is one program in particular you are holding out for instead, then I would seriously rethink your decision to decline your current offer. But, if there is something big that is turning you off about the school you got into then that might be a different story. A healthy dose of apprehension about diving into a 5 year program that you aren't 100% sure on is okay I think...but you are the one who has to decide if it's a "healthy dose" or not!
:p True. It's up to you how you want to operationalize that. Serious concerns do need to be addressed.

Markp

Clinical Psychologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Psychologist
Definitely not fully funded. In fact, I'll be taking out $100,000+ in loans. But at the same time, I'm having a hard time getting over declining an offer for a doctorate program. What if I don't get in the next time I apply? Is that totally irrational and logically I will only improve my chances with field-related experience added to my CV?
I don't know how your stats are or which program this is, but my gut feeling, and this is just my gut... is that something better could come along... after all, in this economy, plenty of people will line up to collect $100k from you. Can you defer acceptance?

So what if you don't get in next time... what will that mean? I know for me, the stakes were high... if I didn't get in to a program by a certain date the military wasn't an option for me anymore... it's like I had a "best used by date" stamped on the bottom of my foot. However what are the ramifications of not going this time or not getting in next time for YOU?

What about the other outcome, what if you get into an even better program, what then?

Isn't that a possibility? Or is this the "bestest" program that you could ever hope for? (I mean CW Post seems like a pretty good school, is that what we are talking about here?)

Last edited: