Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Declining interview invites?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by girl, Oct 16, 2001.

1. girl

girl Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anybody know the appropriate way to decline an interview invite? By letter or phonecall or e-mail? Is it okay to just write a withdrawal letter and that covers the interview refusal, or are we supposed to write both? (A decline and a withdrawal) Thanks for your help.

2. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I would think a withdrawal letter would do the trick. I think they'll take a hint.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I second that - just withdraw the application completely and that should take care of it. I hope to be writing a few of those letters in the coming months. :p

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

What about a letter that does both? "I appreciate the invitation to interview, but this letter is to inform you that I am withdrawing my application......"

5. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Letter, schmetter. Just don't reply. They'll take the hint. After a few calls and letters, Vandy finally let it go. --Trek

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To be fair to the school, I think the best way would be to call or email the admissions office of your intent to withdraw your application, and then follow it up with a formal letter. Obviously if you are withdrawing your application from consideration, you are declining their interview -- I think that goes without saying. Anyways, I just think it's more courteous to call or email as well, esp. if you have an interview coming up, so they can try and give that interview invitation out to someone else as quickly as possible.

7. audeo

audeo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What's wrong with Vandy. I like the school. Their office has been most hospitable this year. Rather an exact opposite of NYU.

8. katiep

katiep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How'bout this, replacing brackets as needed:

[Date]

[School Name and Address]

Dear [Name]:

I would like to thank you for your interview offer at [School Name]. After carefully reviewing your school, however, it is with deep regret that I must inform you that I have determined that it will not be possible to accept a place in your 2002 entering class.

I evaluate comparatively every school's credentials, including your students' average MCAT scores and GPA, curriculum, faculty/student ratio, reputation by residency directors, NIH research grants, national board scores, match list, and tuition fees.

As you are well aware, I have received far more interviews and acceptances than I can possibly accept. This decision should not be construed as an indication that I do not consider you qualified to teach medicine. It is the unfortunate result of the strong competition among the many medical schools such as yourself.

Thank you for your interest in my application. I wish you well and hope you will be successful in obtaining acceptances from many qualified applicants.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

If you want to go through the trouble, photocopy your signature on the page.

9. Ditwee

Ditwee Member
    7+ Year Member

I wish I had an interview so that I could decline it..... Wait, I take that back! I'm not in any position to decline! Please give me an interview with a cherry on top! Pretty please?! Hear me, oh Interview gods (and goddesses!)

By the way, I visited Vandy and I think they're cool...they had a lot of good candy in the waiting area! :D :D :D I became addicted to the caramel apple chewies...and I can't find them in Florida...the agony!

10. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Katie - that letter is hillarious!

11. how do you know its vandy? and why are you declining vandy?! :D

thanks

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

katiep, Exceptionally well done. :cool:

13. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats
    10+ Year Member

Katie,

WE HAVE TO USE THAT LETTER!!! :)
    I am printing it out!
    And I will use it for all my schools I withdraw from after I get a much anticipated acceptance :) haha

14. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Scooby, it's a funny letter, but I would use it hesistatingly. From what I've been told, you never know when you're going to cross paths with these people in the future. I definitely wouldn't use that letter at any school where I'd consider going for residency. You don't want to burn any bridges before your medical education starts. Then again, if the school has been a pain in the ass, I wouldn't hesistate sticking it to them.

15. katiep

katiep Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In all seriousness, never burn any bridges, unless you are absolutely sure you'll never have to cross it again.

16. cm7b5

cm7b5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That is a really funny letter.......slightly haughty, but funny.

17. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

That letter is a good idea. I should have used it for Texas Tech. Instead I just never responded back to them.

Finally, I got a curt email from an obviously chaffed admissions committee chairperson. She reiterated how important it was that I follow the AMCAS student guidelines and give written notice in a timely fashion of withdrawal. So I shot her off a quick one liner rejection email.

Not that Tech is a bad program, I'd love to go there. But they were very inflexible with their interview dates so I had to decline.

I agree with lilycat that you should respond quickly to ensure that another prospective student can interview in your place.