declining interview offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeine37

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the most tactful way to do this? I realized I over applied and wont have time/finances to visit every program...

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Program,

Thank you for reviewing my application favorably. Unfortunately, I will be unable to visit your program, so I wish to cancel my interview date (xx/yy/zz).

Frugally yours,

Traveler

Dear Program,

Thank you for reviewing my application favorably. Unfortunately, I will be unable to visit your program, so I wish to cancel my interview date (xx/yy/zz).

Frugally yours,

Traveler

LOL! That's funny Frugal, well written!

I like what WS and frugal have said, because it's honest and professional, I think those are the key points when you decline the offer. G'luck!

What's the minimum amount of time before an interview one can cancel? Is 25-30 days plenty?

Thanks.

What's the minimum amount of time before an interview one can cancel? Is 25-30 days plenty?

Thanks.

I'd say at this point it's probably 2-3 weeks. As the season gets going and interviews are started, give them at least 1 week to get someone else to fill your spot.

Jeez, I had interview dates offered literally 3 days after the invite. the times to fill them can be short. In general, tho, the more time you give the better.