Decreasing scores in verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So..after doing AAMC 6R, I was so shocked at verbal mark...a 7!
I mean..I got 8 on my first Kaplan FL(which was more than a month ago), and now it's going down even more? and last Saturday I scored 8 on Kaplan FL4 verbal.

The issue is not that I'm getting low mark on vr(well, that's an issue, too), but because it is decreasing... 2 weeks ago, I thought I have solid 10 on vr because I scored 10 on Kaplan FL3 and also 10 on AAMC5R.

I really don't know why it is actually going down..I was thinking maybe it's the testing condition because I was bit tired today..but does it affect that much? Other sections are pretty stable around 11..so I'm happy with that.

Did anyone experience the same thing with me? I'm really frustrated because I studied vr the most and had the least improvement on it..I thought at least it would stay the same, not decrease...(after all that Kaplan vr and EK vr practices..) Right now..I would be so happy with 10 in verbal..

if the condition factor is really that important..how do you guys control your testing condition?

Thanks in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

same thing happened to me...i started with 12's then rode my way down to 9's. I didn't realize what the problem was until test day.

Dyuring the actual MCAT, I was going over some questions after i finished 4 minutes early, and i realized that I was just changing answers cuz i had no confidence in myself. With about 2 minutes of time left, i decided to just close the booklet and keep my original answers. I got a 12:)

tus said:
I really don't know why it is actually going down..I was thinking maybe it's the testing condition because I was bit tired today..but does it affect that much? Other sections are pretty stable around 11..so I'm happy with that.

If I'm tired, I have trouble focusing in verbal. I was really surprised to see how not getting enough rest can really screw up my verbal section.

Being well rested is important! :)

I say try another full length after a good night's sleep. :luck:

I totally agree...my verbal went from a 13 on Kaplan full length 2 to a 9 on Kaplan full length 3. The difference? I had a really crappy friday night/sat morning and hardly got any sleep.

Thanks guys.
I really think it's really important to take a rest the day before doing full length verbal
(I think I read somewhere that recommend doing verbal every alternative days, I'm going to try another AAMC after no verbal day before..)