bananas85

5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2013
Status
If you have a patient in with a diabetic foot ulcer and lets say teh DPM or Surgeon performed a procedure and then dressed the wound, do you guys undress it everyday and look at it? If you undress it, do you dress it back up or let the nursing staff take care of it? Is it rude to leave it open and ask the nurse to take care of it.?

In regards to decub wounds, do you guys lift the patient up every day to look at it?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
If you have a patient in with a diabetic foot ulcer and lets say teh DPM or Surgeon performed a procedure and then dressed the wound, do you guys undress it everyday and look at it? If you undress it, do you dress it back up or let the nursing staff take care of it? Is it rude to leave it open and ask the nurse to take care of it.?
Whatever the standard is there. If the nurses dress it, let them do it. If they just did it before you walked in the room, leave it alone.

In regards to decub wounds, do you guys lift the patient up every day to look at it?
Yep.

Raryn

Infernal Internist / Enigmatic Endocrinologist
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I don't. I make sure I saw it at least once, then leave the dressing alone, and just document daily that the dressing is c/d/i. The nurses document the [email protected]#$ out of decubs, so they let me know if there's any difference.