Deducting internship travel costs on taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that appropriate? Is that considered an educational expense?

Members don't see this ad.

I also claimed moving expenses this year for internship, and likely would have attempted to claim interview costs last year had I thought of it. As long as your total deductions across your return do not meet a certain cap, you will likely have no risk of being audited, so long as everything else (W2, 1099s, etc.) checks out. Hopefully you get back at least 50 bucks, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also claimed moving expenses this year for internship, and likely would have attempted to claim interview costs last year had I thought of it. As long as your total deductions across your return do not meet a certain cap, you will likely have no risk of being audited, so long as everything else (W2, 1099s, etc.) checks out. Hopefully you get back at least 50 bucks, lol.

I claimed the money I spent on APPIC applications, registration with National Match, and travel expenses. It all went into the "seeking employment" section of TurboTax. Figured if I were to get audited I would have receipts for all of it, as its all online.

Wow I never thought that I could claim APPIC application fees on my taxes!

yeah, most people don't need to unless they itemize deductions. I gave all that information to my dad who's a CPA, and he said I didn't spend enough, so it wasn't worth it. I'm sure turbo tax didn't even use it for those of you who entered it unless it decided your itemized deductions exceeded your standard ones.

yeah, most people don't need to unless they itemize deductions. I gave all that information to my dad who's a CPA, and he said I didn't spend enough, so it wasn't worth it. I'm sure turbo tax didn't even use it for those of you who entered it unless it decided your itemized deductions exceeded your standard ones.

Yeah, that might've been the case with me--entered it, but in the end, still used the standard deduction. I do know that moving expenses were factored in separately, though.