Jul 23, 2009
Status
So here are my stats: 3.8 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA from a top-20 school. 37S MCAT. Research and clinical experience ( I worked for a while before applying) .

My question is: is it OK to only apply to the TX schools? i am a tx resident. I really don't want to make my family move. I don't want to be an idiot about applying, but I should be OK right??

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
Yes, you're probably fine, unless Texas schools do the same thing that some AMCAS schools do, and screen you out because your stats are too high and they don't want to be used as a safety school. If you're filling out AMCAS anyway to apply to Baylor, why not consider adding a few more in your stat's range just to be on the safe side.

You might want to PM GoSpursGo, who survived the Texas application process, and ask for his opinion.

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
So here are my stats: 3.8 sGPA, 3.9 cGPA from a top-20 school. 37S MCAT. Research and clinical experience ( I worked for a while before applying) .

My question is: is it OK to only apply to the TX schools? i am a tx resident. I really don't want to make my family move. I don't want to be an idiot about applying, but I should be OK right??
Yes you should be fine, provided you can interview well.

OP
T
Jul 23, 2009
Status
thank you guys v. much. i value your advice! my adviser had said the same, but it's hard not to get freaked out when scrolling through these forums ;-)

canjosh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2004
Houston
Status
Medical Student
If you apply OOS, I'd only do reach schools. As long as you're not a robot, you'll be just fine in TX!!

danny317

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
w/ those stats id apply to a couple oos. if you want to apply to baylor youre going to have to fill out the amcas anyways...

even if you dont want to leave texas, its always better to be safe than sorry.

thats my advice but more than likely youll get accepted somewhere in texas. as long as you arent super akward or down right rude during your interviews.

good luck!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
If you apply OOS, I'd only do reach schools. As long as you're not a robot, you'll be just fine in TX!!
Yeah, and if you do apply to Baylor, you'll be filling out an AMCAS anyway. Only some $30 per school! lol

txprodigal

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
Status
texas is different. a lot of the applicants from texas schools even with average stats only apply to texas schools.

don't waste the money and apply out of state especially if you don't want to leave. you'll be fine sticking only with TMDSAS if you choose to do so.

good luck!

camaras2480

Wrapping things up
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
texas is different. a lot of the applicants from texas schools even with average stats only apply to texas schools.

don't waste the money and apply out of state especially if you don't want to leave. you'll be fine sticking only with TMDSAS if you choose to do so.

good luck!
Surely true. But if you dooo have money, why not check it out? :)