Defer possible, with expired mcats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stillpremed

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
my mcats expire this year and if i get into my school, i would like to defer. would this be possible?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

stillpremed said:
my mcats expire this year and if i get into my school, i would like to defer. would this be possible?
thanks

I think that wouldn't be an issue. If a med school accepts you and permits you to defer for a year (not all would), you are already accepted for the following year so your stats are moot. But that's only my guess -- I would ask the school once you get the deferral if there is anything they would require of you to maintain the acceptance.

stillpremed said:
thanks

Make sure you get in first before contacting your school. Otherwise they may change their mind about accepting you.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does one have until they expire-I didn't know they expired!!!! :mad:

depends on the school, but Northwestern won't take anything over three years old

Generally, MCAT scores are good for three years. Therefore, if you took the test in 2003 and did well, you can apply for admission in 2006 with that score. If you took the test in 2003, they won't look at the score for admission in 2007. You should also know that taking the test in April or August doesn't matter. Scores from the April 2003 MCAT and scores from the August 2003 MCAT are both valid for admission in 2006 and invalid for admission in 2007.