Defer? Transfer credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpapa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

So similar to many people on this blog I'm having a tough time deciding between schools. I know that with med schools you can defer. Can you defer with public health schools? And if you defer are you mandated to then go to the school?

What about transferring credits? Let's say I do defer but I take my core courses elsewhere and want to transfer them, how are schools about transferring the cores?

I guess my reasoning behind these questions is I'm stuck in a position of choosing between schools when in reality this MPH is my stepping stone (if that makes any sense). I really don't know what I want to do with my MPH degree. I have grown to love health studies and issues on a global scale. But i'm not sure if I want to teach health, conduct research, health policy implementation, etc. Long story short, I got into a couple of really great programs (all different types of programs). They each offer something different. Like many on this blog, it's getting down to "show me the money." My in-state school the University of South Florida is a 4th of the price of all the other schools and the program is decent.

I may sound like a schemer but I wanted to take my 5 core courses at USF see how I like them and then maybe transfer to one of the other schools I got accepted to. It's sounds very selfish and naive but I can't think of another way of making myself happy...

Is this even possible? Any advice is good advice.
Thanks.
Jill

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools are pretty restrictive about how many transfer credits they will accept. You should look into each school individually to find out the particulars. Since MPH programs are only 1 or 2 yrs long, transferring 5 courses is a huge portion of the program.