Defering entrance - possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tkim

10 cc's cordrazine
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched but there are only spotty posts on the subject.

We're expecting our first child in June. With my wife not working after the baby, and the way student budgets are worked out to only cover the student, I'm beginning to wonder whether defering and working for a year wouldn't give us the best financial and logistical picture.

Our child would be a year old, and my wife would be able to go back to work at that point far easier than if our child were still an infant.

I'm itching to move on and go to school, but not if we can't afford to.

Has anyone dealt with such a challenge? Has anyone applied for a deferal for similar reasons? Jhug, I know you got one - but you had TRIPLETS! Thanks for any help.

- Tae

Members don't see this ad.

I specifically called UHS and asked them about this. I am not pregnant currently, but I do want a family during/before medical school sometime. They told me that it was very possible to get a deferment before the first year due to a pregnancy. Perhaps it depends on the school, but they seemed extrememly willing to work with people. They gave me examples of people that have done this in the past as well as taking whole years off in between years. He even gave me two email addresses of women who have done this sort of thing.

Call them, they will tell you their policy. :) I called anonymously so they wouldn't discriminate though.

MomMD.com has some things on this as well. Congratualations!!!

Will your school not adjust the budget? Mine will look at your actual situation and make necesary adjustments. Infact, my study partner has a stay-at-home wife and 3 kids and must borrow to cover everything.

Couldn't hurt to ask the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies!

I asked at every financial aid presentation - "Can I borrow to support for the rest of my family?" The answer was always "You can only borrow to cover *your* expenses."

I will certainly call the schools to find out, but I'm a little hesitant to identify myself - especially before sending in a deposit. Not that I expect anything to happen in the way of withdrawing an acceptance. I just don't want to set myself up for a failure.

- Tae

tae-- the one thing i've learned is that you can't plan out your life:) i had everything set and BAM the ultrasound shows three little black blobs with heartbeats! Azcom has been super nice about me defering this year and now that the kids are almost 4mo old, this was the only option for me. I had to write the dean and explain why i wanted to defer-- i told him that the two most important goals in my life are being a good father and a good physician-- and that by waiting this year i could better succeed in both.
I would talk with the schools you're interested in-- if they aren't going to be understanding about something as important as this, you probably wouldn't want to go there anyway!
Just remeber, when planning on A baby--2 and 3 could be on the way too:clap::clap: :clap:

Originally posted by tkim6599
We're expecting our first child in June.
- Tae

I just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by jennij
I just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ditto, from a from a step-father (soon to be adoptive father) of one daughter and a BF of another. Congratulations and good luck... you'll be needing it. Mine are 6 yrs and almost 1 year old.

WannabeDO