Defering for a year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skye04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for schools to allow one to defer a year? I have heard they are willing in cases such as the Peace Corps but this would be for purely traveling...

Info on specific schools or just general thoughts would be greatly appreciated... :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think policies on deferring vary from school to school. The peace Corps is a two year + committment, and I've not heard of schools willing to defer for that long (but maybe there are some, I just don't know). I know at U. of Washington (Seattle) they will only grant 2 deferrments each year, so it's not automatic to get one.

Check your school's policy. My school allows every accepted student the opportunity to defer one year prior to matriculation. You really don't even need a good reason to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Future_Doc:
•Check your school's policy. My school allows every accepted student the opportunity to defer one year prior to matriculation. You really don't even need a good reason to do this.•••

which school is that?

This is a perfect example of the problem with this forum. most people are NOT willing to mention which school they go to when they make a "my school" comment. basically, whenever this is done, the interested reader goes off on a wild goose chase to search for what school that person goes to. In some cases that person lists the school in his/her profile. but in most cases people don't list it. so from now on, if all posters could please mention their school each time they comment on it, you would be helping us. the purpose of this forum is to communicate. you're not communicating well enough if you leave out the most important part. it's OK, nobody's gonna think you're showing off people. just mention the school so we can put a school to the comment.