Deferment for more research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobodylan41

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I really like doing the research that I am involved in right now at my lab and am thinking of deferring an acceptance to do research for another year. Do you think schools would be okay with that? I have one acceptance to a Pennsylvania school, but am waitlisted at a california school. If accepted off the waitlist are they receptive to deferral requests?

Thanks for any answers

Members don't see this ad.

I think deferrals are only used in extreme cases (illness, death of a family member, etc). I don't think many, if any, schools would be receptive to this. Maybe an adcom can chime in?

You could contact the school and see what their deferral policy is. It seems most will allow a deferment for prestigious scholarships and grants. However, it doesn't seem likely they would just to continue research at your current lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could contact the school and see what their deferral policy is. It seems most will allow a deferment for prestigious scholarships and grants. However, it doesn't seem likely they would just to continue research at your current lab.

If you received a nice grant to continue this research, I would guess that you could defer :thumbup: . But just to continue work as a research assistant with basic pay, probably not. :thumbdown:

I have no experience with deferring and am just educated guessing based off of SDN mentality.

So I really like doing the research that I am involved in right now at my lab and am thinking of deferring an acceptance to do research for another year. Do you think schools would be okay with that? I have one acceptance to a Pennsylvania school, but am waitlisted at a california school. If accepted off the waitlist are they receptive to deferral requests?

Thanks for any answers

Someone who was supposed to enter my class this year deferred for a year to continue research, but that's all I know and I don't know if it was a "normal" lab or something more prestigious like NIH or something. Best bet is to call the school and ask about their deferment policies, as I'm assuming some schools are more lenient than others. You can even remain anonymous when you call, just say you are an accepted student and you wanted to get more information on deferring.

From what I've seen, the schools that allow deferral have a deadline at around 5/15-6/1 and is at the discretion of whoever is in charge. I would think that the CA school would say no if you get accepted off waitlist since they are trying to fill their class.

Thanks for any answers

Instead, consider starting med school, doing your first year or two, and then returning to your lab for a year. A year of research during medical school is a huge boost to your residency application. Postbac research doesn't carry nearly as much weight.

I say get into school and get moving, you can pickup research opportunities there. If you are really stuck on continuing at your current lab then the only way to know is to call your school.

Survivor DO