Deferral after getting in off of waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cck42

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So. I haven't gotten any acceptances but have been waitlisted at a couple of places. I also have some solid backup plans (a good job and a prestigious fellowship I'm interviewing for) that I will have to commit to in ~April. If I get in off of a waitlist in May or June, can I apply to defer a year? I imagine it varies by school - will I hurt my chances if I basically email and ask if I can defer off of the waitlist?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait 'til you have an acceptance. Asking for it now will probably just make their decision easier :dead:

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Say nothing, then ask if the situation actually happens.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think maybe letting both your job and fellowship know what your current situation will be best. Having to leave a job for medical school is understandable for both the job and for the university, so that might not even warrant a deferral request. However, I have seen on here that fellowships or other opportunities (such as Rhodes scholar - although not sure how someone would get waitlisted if they get a Rhodes Scholarship in the same year) may warrant a deferral request.

Be honest with the employer and with the fellowship. Take the opportunity that is best for you if you don't get in, and if you do get in, go from there.

So. I haven't gotten any acceptances but have been waitlisted at a couple of places. I also have some solid backup plans (a good job and a prestigious fellowship I'm interviewing for) that I will have to commit to in ~April. If I get in off of a waitlist in May or June, can I apply to defer a year? I imagine it varies by school - will I hurt my chances if I basically email and ask if I can defer off of the waitlist?

Thanks!
I honestly don't think it's going to vary much by school. The WL is to fill seats in this year's class as they become available after the folks who received As ahead of you withdraw. It's unlikely a school that didn't give you an initial A this year is going to guarantee you a seat in a future cycle (by allowing you to defer) before it sees that year's applicants. It won't hurt to ask if and when the time comes, but you should plan on being told no and having to reapply if you want to pursue the fellowship or good job. Given how difficult it is to get an A, I like @gopher1997's advice -- you have no choice but to make alternate plans since you don't yet have an A, but I'd grab the A if it comes and the school shows no interest in allowing a deferral, as I suspect it won't.

Deferring off the waitlist is basically saying, "will you put me at the front of the line for the class matriculating next year, rather at the end of the line of people admitted this year?" It does take chutzpah but what have you got to lose? Just don't expect a "yes".

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!
I firmly believe that asking this question is a good way to make sure you'll never ever get accepted.

1) It questions your dedication to be a doctor
2) While it IS a hypothetical question, it's also very presumptuous.

Generally, deferrals are hard to get, and usually for emergencies.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the input everyone! I kind of figured it would be a big no-no but wasn't sure just how uncommon/hard to get deferrals are. Appreciate the feedback.