Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Deferral= Assured acceptance? adcom members help especially?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Frank Hardy, May 31, 2008.

1. Frank Hardy

Frank Hardy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi

Please help with these questions.

1st

If a re-applicant submits his primary application, then in the middle of the summer he comes off a waitlist can he defer the acceptance and continue with the application cycle to get into another school? (And then of course withdraw from the first). OR will AMCAS not allow this??

2nd question

When reapplying will schools know exactly what programs you applied to previously. Meaning if you decide on MD/PhD second round will they know you applied MD only first?

I need answers to these quick and I thought SDN would be the best place to turn.

:(

2. Ginzo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    First off, this is a pretty crappy stunt to try to pull on a school. A lot of schools do not allow you to defer off the WL because they view the WL as a way to fill the class. And a lot of deferral agreements make you sign something promising to not apply to other schools during your deferral year.

3. Frank Hardy

Frank Hardy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I understand. I'm just thinking if I get off late into the summer and I've already spent a massive amount of money reapplying why should I go to through that upheaval of having to relocate as well as wasting all of that effort and money.

4. Frank Hardy

Frank Hardy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sorry relocate *quickly* it's not easy just tossing everything in your life aside in a couple of weeks after you've assumed you would not be matriculating in the fall.

5. Frank Hardy

Frank Hardy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  6. jamaicandoc

jamaicandoc Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Because you agreed to it. Waitlist spots come with the understanding that you want to go there and will accept the position up until the first day of orientation. If you don't want to have to relocate and waste money last minute then don't wait for the acceptance until the last minute. Withdraw your application if you feel you have reached a point where you can't be bothered with relocating and spending all the money. In any event, the other way to look at this is, if you do spend say $ 4000 applying to alot of schools and then get off the waitlist, you would have saved yourself some money you would have spent going on interviews for that second cycle.

7. Frank Hardy

Frank Hardy Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Fair enough. But I am not thinking about "what's best for the school." They're making money despite my decisions.
    Thanks for replying though. SDN is classic like 89 views to a handful of replies.

Anyone with an answer to #2????

8. Ginzo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If it's any consolation, I was just in a similar position: On three wait lists and getting ready to reapply. I finally got an acceptance, but I completely feel your pain. It sucks to be in limbo. Honestly, even if you do waste a bunch of money reapplying, it's best to just take a seat off the wait list if you get one. It beats interviewing again and the horrible waiting of the admissions process. Who wants to do it twice if you don't have to?

9. jelly476

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    hey i deferred my acceptance this year and I was made to agree not to apply to any other school during the next application year so even if you get off a waitlist and are granted an acceptance, it will be on the condition that you go there only. so make your choice.

10. swim2006

swim2006 Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When you choose schools on AMCAS you have to note whether you applied previously. I think that means ever applied to an MD program no matter the type of program (combined degree or single)

11. BEMD

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dude, if you don't like the school enough to take the acceptance from the wait list then you should withdrawal now. They aren't going to let you defer to apply to other schools. I understand the frustration of having to spend money to start the application process and then stop half way through, but the school has no reason to grant you a deferral spot and then let you see if you can find another school that will take you.
    If you think you would turn down the acceptance if you got in then withdrawal now because it looks worse turning down an acceptance then not being accepted at all when you are reapplying (IMHO).
    Good luck with your decision. :)

12. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think there are only about 3 schools out there that allow you to apply (continue to apply) once you defer. Generally, your deferral is contingent on not applying elsewhere at all other schools. Unless the school you are accepted is one of these few, you cannot continue applying.

And you don't get a deferral as a matter of right anyhow, so in most cases you don't get to defer unless you have a good reason (have been accepted into some major scholarship or research program perhaps). Most schools only allow deferring for a small range of reasons, and generally take the view that if you knew you weren't going to attend this cycle, you shouldn't have applied this cycle. I sure wouldn't assume you get to defer, and if you do get to defer I sure wouldn't assume you get to reapply. Wrong on both counts at 90% of all med schools.