Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Deferral Etiquette

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by junqu, Mar 8, 2007.

1. junqu

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone know about the etiquette for deferring at a school you'd really like to attend (say you have a really legitimate reason).

The big question is, in the meantime, is it acceptable to reapply to a few other schools?

2. Jccripe

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I dont know buy i think you should make the school wait as long as you did for the acceptance.:)

3. PlayMeSomeMusic

PlayMeSomeMusic Always waiting...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tdd340

tdd340 Assistant to the sensei
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Typically if you obtain a deferral then you will not be able to reapply to any more schools.

5. ahhh123

ahhh123 Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't really understand why you would apply to a few other schools if you have an acceptance and the school is ur first choice.... unless u dont' want to attend the school in the first place

6. OP
    OP
    junqu

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

7. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides
    7+ Year Member

Just a heads up, this will not be viewed as a legitimate reason in the eyes of adcoms. I passed on an acceptance last year and have gotten questions at interviews about it this year. You knew when she was going to graduate, why did you apply if you did not want a year apart? I don't think you are going to be able to answer this to their satisfaction...

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. OP
    OP
    junqu

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    wait when you say "won't be viewed" do you mean in view of the decision to allow deferral??? Because I mean in that case, of course it will be legitimate, haha. Are you joking? People defer to "take a year off."

9. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not from med school they don't. In general, most schools don't allow it as a matter of right. For the majority of schools, you have to have a valid reason to defer (i.e. health, major family issues (things that weren't already known when you decided to apply), a fulbright, etc). Check the schools websites and you will see which ones have more lenient policies than others. And as a prior poster mentioned, with the exception of perhaps three schools, you are generally not allowed to apply to another med school while on a deferral.

10. diosa428

diosa428 SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Some schools allow you to defer if you want, other schools only allow you to defer if you have a particularly good reason (ie, medical reason or you were awarded an awesome fellowship for a year). Personal reasons may or may not cut it - you have to check with your school. You'd also have to check with them regarding whether or not you can reapply. This probably is not a question that anyone here can answer.

11. Mr. Belding

7+ Year Member

exactamundo

12. ryanl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just out of curiosity, how did the interviewers know you had been offered an acceptance previously. I was under the impression that they don't have access to this information.

13. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you want to go to this school, why not just defer and NOT reapply elsewhere? Get a job for the year or something. The only reason to defer and want to still reapply is if you actually don't want to go to this school, but you want it as a back up if your reapplication doesn't work. Pretty lame. Your best bet is just to go to this school. If you turn down the acceptance, it's gonna look pretty bad when you reapply.

BTW, how in the world does your wife get to pick where she moves to after graduation? Is she not doing a residency?

14. Mr. Belding

7+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure you are right about that. I don't think any of them knew I had an acceptance, but the question came up in every interview I have been to because I don't really have the app of someone who would have applied without getting in...

(I did, however, only get into one school, which happened to be school I wasn't going to be happy at. So I told the fam I was rejected and reapplied)