E-med

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
2
0
Status
A few weeks ago, a long-standing health condition flared up and my physician recommended that I ask for a deferral and take the year off. I had already taken two years to conduct research, but was concerned that I would not make it through the year and did not want to blow what I have been working to accomplish for so long. I received my deferral; however, last week, another physician suggested that my health situation was far better than previously noted. I asked my father if he believes that I could call and ask if any spots have become available for this year's incoming class. He suggests that even if such a thing was possible, the red flags that this vacillation would raise would lose me a spot in any class. Anyone have any input on the situation or advice? Would it look extremely flaky to ask the admissions' office or is it worthwhile to call just to know that I could have the chance?
 

MD-To Be

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
100
0
Dayton, Ohio
www.adorationprophet.com
Status
Pre-Medical
E-med said:
A few weeks ago, a long-standing health condition flared up and my physician recommended that I ask for a deferral and take the year off. I had already taken two years to conduct research, but was concerned that I would not make it through the year and did not want to blow what I have been working to accomplish for so long. I received my deferral; however, last week, another physician suggested that my health situation was far better than previously noted. I asked my father if he believes that I could call and ask if any spots have become available for this year's incoming class. He suggests that even if such a thing was possible, the red flags that this vacillation would raise would lose me a spot in any class. Anyone have any input on the situation or advice? Would it look extremely flaky to ask the admissions' office or is it worthwhile to call just to know that I could have the chance?
Are you a med-student now taking a deferral in the middle of medical school or are you a student who was accepted and is deferring your first year? Either way, I personally would not call and ask if you can now come back and withdraw your deferral if it has been approved. If it has been granted then take it, make some money, and start next year.
 

LucidSplash

Bloody Plumber
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
2,871
2,857
Status
Attending Physician
Personally, I can't see them reneging on your acceptance just for asking if there are spots to join the class now. Usually you have to give a good reason to defer, so I'm assuming the already know about the health condition and the first doc's recommendation. Since you now have an opposing opinion, my gut would be to get a "tie breaker" opinion as quickly as possible if you really think your health is up to joining the class of 2010 and calling the Dean if you get a favorable response from the third doc and explaining the situation.

Again, this is assuming they know about the health condition already.
 
About the Ads

Samoa

15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2002
8,386
1,083
E-med said:
A few weeks ago, a long-standing health condition flared up and my physician recommended that I ask for a deferral and take the year off. I had already taken two years to conduct research, but was concerned that I would not make it through the year and did not want to blow what I have been working to accomplish for so long. I received my deferral; however, last week, another physician suggested that my health situation was far better than previously noted. I asked my father if he believes that I could call and ask if any spots have become available for this year's incoming class. He suggests that even if such a thing was possible, the red flags that this vacillation would raise would lose me a spot in any class. Anyone have any input on the situation or advice? Would it look extremely flaky to ask the admissions' office or is it worthwhile to call just to know that I could have the chance?
As many people say, med school is a marathon, not a sprint. A little flakiness at the beginning isn't going to matter. Everyone has stuff they worry about, and the key thing you need to answer is: do YOU feel that your health will hold up if you start this year? If so, go ahead and explain the situation and ask if there are spots. If not, wait the year.

In the end, your doctor's opinion is just that. An opinion. Yes, he knows more about the condition you have than you do, but you know more about yourself than he does. You are the best judge of your innate capability. Now, if your doctor is seeing something about your prognosis that you don't grasp, you two should discuss it. He needs to inform you so that you can judge the situation accurately, but in the end it's your decision.
 

cbgray

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
52
0
TX
Status
Medical Student
I agree with Samoa. You have to do what feels right for you. If you think you will have any trouble related to your health in the upcoming year, I would suggest you weigh take that into consideration as to how it may affect your grades/study time/attendance/etc. This is a much more important consideration that what your medical school may or may not think. Health issues are as good a reason as any for a deferment, and finding out that you are doing better than expected could never be viewed as "vacillation." I bet if you called them up (and have space) they would be happy to have you back in the class into which they accepted you.

Also, I highly agree that you should get started as soon as possible. Being a doctor is the dream - why delay it?
 

peppy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
1,683
64
Status
Attending Physician
If you had deferred by choice then it would look bad to keep changing your mind, but I don't see how they could hold it against you when it's based on an uncontrollable health factor. If I were you, I'd probably call and ask if there's still a way to get in. Good luck, and glad to hear that you're doing better than expected. :)
 
About the Ads