Deferrals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeDee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Canadian student trying to apply to dentistry schools. I will write my DAT for the 3rd time in Nov., and I'm just wondering whether I should apply to some US schools, having never done so. Do you think that it would be a good idea to apply to some private US schools, and maybe defer them for a year if I get accepted, just so I could still apply and hopefully get into a school of my choice in Canada, or would that be plain stupid? Deferrals are possible, aren't they? And you are still allowed to apply to other schools, right?
Thanks for all the help! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the school if they allow deferals or not. Even if the school does allow deferals you must have a pretty good reason to defer a year otherwise they wont allow it.

Well that depends on your stats. I was accepted into University of Toronto, however I went through the same situation as you are in last year. I applied to many US schools and was accepted by a majority of them. If you have a gpa of 3.77 or higher than you have a chance at toronto or western, if not you should definitely apply to US schools.

The ones I applied to were:

Harvard
Case Western Reserve
Ohio State
Michigan State
Columbia
NYU
Tufts
Nova
Buffalo (great school)
detroit

If you have any questions, just post them and I will help you.

Good Luck!