Deferred at one institution while waitlisted at another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gorillastyle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my postion: The university that I have been accepted at has granted me a deferral of a year, which I will use to work at my current job. I am also on the waitlist for another school which I would prefer to attend, and would go this year (2014) if they don't allow me to defer. Both schools start around the same time. The school that I am deferring at sent me an official letter saying that I have to re-apply through AMCAS for 2015 as a deferred matriculant by November 1, 2014. They also say that I will need to withdraw any outstanding applications, but don't make it clear whether they want me to withdraw from schools I am waitlisted at, or just schools that would accept me in 2015 (there are none). I would obviously like to stay in consideration for the school I am on the waitlist at. I haven't signed anything binding at the school I am deferring at. Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you have to withdraw from all your waitlists as well. Also, to be honest this sounds a little sketchy. If you are fine with starting school in the Fall of 2014, then you shouldn't be looking for a deferral. In general, I would be very careful and very very honest with everyone. The last thing you want is to end up with no options.

Reactions: 2 users
"They also say that I will need to withdraw any outstanding applications, but don't make it clear whether they want me to withdraw from schools I am waitlisted at"

Waitlisted means you have an active application at that school. You have to withdraw all applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
"They also say that I will need to withdraw any outstanding applications, but don't make it clear whether they want me to withdraw from schools I am waitlisted at"

I don't see what's confusing about this statement.

kyamh, I am planning on contacting the school I am accepted at, but just wanted some info first. I would have attended this year if I did not get a deferral, but would rather work for another year. Either way, I would rather attend the waitlist school.

jonnythan, I think that may be the case.. Do you think I should just wait until the schools have started (still before the Nov. 1 deadline) to make any moves on this?

According to AMCAS Traffic Rules (https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf),

a. Each school or program should permit applicants:
i. A minimum of 5 business days to respond to an acceptance offer. This may be
reduced to a minimum of 2 business days within 30 days of the start of orientation
ii. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
b. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants
who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been
informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.
c. Should permit applicants who have been accepted or granted a deferral to remain on other
schools' or programs' wait lists
and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer
from a preferred school or program.

It's best to ask the school but I see no reason why you need to withdraw from your waitlists.

Thank you, Funktastik! This is exactly what I was looking for.

To follow up, it looks like the document the school sent me is referring to applications I may have started in 2014.

"Late deferrals:
If you have submitted your application to AMCAS and are then granted a late deferral by one of the schools to which you applied for the previous entering class:
• If the program granting the deferral is restricted and you have designated other medical schools, contact AMCAS Applicant Relations, who will deactivate those designations (withdrawing your application to those schools), which may only be done prior to the completion of application processing. If your application has completed processing, designated medical schools cannot be deactivated, and you will need to withdraw individually from the other medical schools (if any) to which you have applied."

Emphasis on "the previous entering class", which makes me think they're assuming you are re-applying for the following year and have recently gotten a "late deferral" in this scenario.
I will call and make sure, but it's good to know that AMCAS recommends allowing to deferred students to stay on the waitlist at other schools.

I guess my only other quetion is whether this deferral will hurt my chances of getting off the waitlist at my top school...? Should I let them know that if I get off the waitlist, I will not ask for a deferral?