Deferred enrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STUCKinUCR

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about deferred enrollment, for example if I am turning my application in this summer, but dont want to start in fall 2006, are there any schools that would accept me maybe spring semester, or even a year later? And if so, does that give you a better chance of acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

I know some schools will give you a deferred admissions. Generally with all medical schools you have to start in August, but I had a friend who applied this past application cycle, but is doing the americorps thing and teaching somewhere for two years before she starts and she got into several schools. My guess would be that her plan to do americorps helped her get in because of the commitment to helping people it showed. If you are asking for a deferral for other reasons whether or not it helped with your application depends on what you are going to be doing with your time.

If you just need to take a year off and do something else, you might consider applying a year later, that way all your grades will be going into your application, you really won't have had much time to be doing anything else after you graduate and before you turn in your apps so if you need to relax for the summer it shouldn't really hurt you.

Usually the question of deferral doesn't come up until you have an offer of admission. They can be granted, usually for one year. What this means for an adcom is that they may take someone off of a waitlist to fill the spot vacated by someone asking for a deferral (great if the waitlist is deep) and it means that there will be one less seat to fill the following year.

"What are you going to be doing in the year you are taking off?" might be asked.

Most medical schools start in August. Most classes run the entire academic year. It would be nearly impossible, I think, to start classes in the Spring.

LizzyM said:
Usually the question of deferral doesn't come up until you have an offer of admission. They can be granted, usually for one year. What this means for an adcom is that they may take someone off of a waitlist to fill the spot vacated by someone asking for a deferral (great if the waitlist is deep) and it means that there will be one less seat to fill the following year.

"What are you going to be doing in the year you are taking off?" might be asked.

Most medical schools start in August. Most classes run the entire academic year. It would be nearly impossible, I think, to start classes in the Spring.

I agree. Don't mention that you want to defer before being accepted. Only ask for it after you've been accepted.