Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Deferred for interview at UPenn. Now what?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yyd, Nov 28, 2005.

1. yyd

yyd Guest

Medical Student
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got the message too. i took it as: we're not rejecting you yet.
    yay!

4. StevenRF

StevenRF Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Got the message too. I think it means that we are on the path to rejection. Basically if they can't find anyone better to fill the spots by March, then we might see some action. We are on the waitlist for interview I think is what it boils down to.

Doesn't bother me much though. Only applied for the off chance that I got in I could do a dual MD/MBA at wharton

5. Scarlett27

Scarlett27 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got the message too. Does this mean that they had the chance to reject us, but didn't? If so, then it could be worse.

6. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

nah, i think they put everyone who hasnt been interviewed in this pool. There goes my alma mater! :rolleyes:

7. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They aren't rejecting anybody yet. They don't send out any admissions decisions until March. IMO this is basically equivalent to a rejection, although I'm sure you could find a few people who do get interviews even after getting this status. It probably depends on what their applicant pool looks like when they've reviewed it entirely. But for me, at least, I'm accepting it as a rejection to come in March.

(sorry to be so pessimistic. I just think I'm being realistic)

8. johno83

johno83 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, at least yall got some kind of heads up. Mine still just says complete and it has been that way a while. To those who got interviews, was it via email or snailmail and did the website update?

9. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh yeah, I wanted to say that I'm actually glad they changed the message. I'd rather know that I'm going to be rejected now than wait and wait to see if they decide to interview me. Although there's still a chance they will, now it's not something that I'm really thinking about, because I feel like it's even more unlikely.

10. DNAroolez

DNAroolez Alpha Helix
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yyd, out of curiousity, when were you complete, and which MCAT did you take? Thanks. By the way. keep your chin up!

11. yyd

yyd Guest

Medical Student
  12. johno83

johno83 Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    what does the status stay if you are invited to interview?

13. DNM503

DNM503 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

They notify you by email sending you a link to the status page...you schedule your interview (choose 1 of 3 dates) on the status page itself. Hope that helps! Penn rocks!

14. NYMed

NYMed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

So I just called Penn to ask someone what that status actually means. And to all my questions, the woman kept repeating the same thing over and over: "It means a decision has not been made yet" So I'm like, "does that mean there's a chance my application will be reviewed again?" "No, it has been reviewed already. It means a decision has not been made yet." "Can you tell me from past experiences if people with this status can still get an interview invite?" "I really can't say. It means a decision has not been made yet" "Well has anyone been rejected yet?" "No, all decisions are made in March." "So is this basically a rejection?" "As I said, It means a decision has not been made yet." Man, it was like talking to a freaking parrot! So who's willing to psychoanalize this conversation?

15. bootz

bootz Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah, I think they just want us to read between the lines. This sounds like something you should hear from a law school not a medical school.

16. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is pure speculation, but...

I think it means that you're application has already been reviewed and scored. Your score wasn't high enough to warrant an automatic interview, but if enough people decline, your score might be good enough to receive a late invite.

17. NYMed

NYMed Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Wow, that gives me hope :) Although I doubt too many people would decline a Penn interview. I actually took the conversation to be a definite rejection. I figured if there's still a chance, wouldn't she tell me that instead of repeating the same thing that's written on the status page over and over again? Where is this speculation coming from?

18. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

Same here. So much for some alumni love. I've decided to end my yearly $20 donation. :p

They'll rue the day they decided to pass me over! :laugh:

19. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The fact that Penn doesn't reject anyone before March.

20. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Hey! What year are you? I am class of 2003!!! :love:

21. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

And in another thread a Penn student said that in years past that for most/nearly all it has been an indication of delayed rejection.

22. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

I've been out for a while... long enough to work at 3 different "real jobs" and to finish a second degree (not from Penn) this semester. I left Philly in 1996, and while I am bitter about getting passed over for an interview, I still love Penn! :love:

23. el chivo

el chivo Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

You guys got me nervous and I checked my application status page. I have the same message as you. I thought I would get an interview, as my numbers were really solid. Maybe there is something else they didn't like. I'm nervous now. This is lame.

24. NunoBR

NunoBR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I checked my page after looking at this posting and my message is the same you guys have.
    My two cents, they may be done with the applications and have already sent interview invites to everyone they want or may want.
    Out of those, some will be accepted, some will be waitlisted (who still have preferred status over us) and there there are us, those who have not yet been interviewed.
    Like a previous posting said, maybe a couple will be picked out of this pool, but since it's a pool of a couple of thousand, the odds are pretty low.
    Penn was a little out there for me anyway.
    I applied to 12 schools, got 8 interviews and I'm already done (3 acceptances) so I am cool.
    My opinion, message=98% chance of rejection

25. Punisher

Punisher Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, thanks for the optimism... I hope you're wrong.

26. Slide

Slide Finally, no more "training"
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you get waitlisted from Penn, save yourself the trouble and kill yourself now. It's the start of a long road you might as well cut short.

27. duh?

duh? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    :laugh: That was funny!

28. IHaveLab

IHaveLab Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

El Chivo-

We're in the same boat...like you, I think that I have some pretty solid numbers on my app, along with a good essay, and excellent LORs. So, I was also surprised to see the 'no-interview' message on my status page.

The one weakness in my application is clinical experience...I've done research, but in a chemistry lab (not in any way medical/biomedical) and I volunteered just once a week in the local ER (for 7 months sophomore year).

So, I'm thinking Penn chose not to interview me because, in their eyes, I haven't shown enough commitment to medicine so far and/or have not demonstrated to the AdCom that I've proved to myself that medicine is the right career for me.

Any thoughts about what might have happened with you? Is it similar at all? I'm just trying to figure out where I/we fell short.

29. NunoBR

NunoBR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not trying to be pessimistic, I see it as being realistic

30. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

Not that I found them particularly humorous before, but since my cousin took his life this this fall I definitely don't think suicide jokes are funny.

(I know you didn't mean anything too serious or significant with your comment, but felt the need to share my $0.02)

31. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

I got that message on my status page too. I'm gonna take it as a rejection. Great.

32. neurone

neurone Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Actually,

I have applied, have not yet been interviewed, and am still waiting for some change in status.