Deferred Trans. Yr: Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Fleischman

I concur
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I received word from the USAF that I'd be chosen for a transitional year, deferred.

Ultimately, my goal is Emergency Medicine, preferably at Wright-Patt or San Antonio.

What should I do this next year to make that happen? Research? Get a lot of ER letters of recommendation? Try to get my civilian trans. yr at Wright State?

I'm very confused at the moment, as I'd like to move on from this trans year into emergency medicine, and not into a two year stint as a GMO/FS. Not saying I'd be upset about those, but I love EM and would like to start training in it as soon as possible.

Can anyone give me any advice about any steps along the way as to what I should do to best improve my chances for getting EM the next go around?

Thanks.

Jake

Members don't see this ad.

Today I received word from the USAF that I'd be chosen for a transitional year, deferred.

Ultimately, my goal is Emergency Medicine, preferably at Wright-Patt or San Antonio.

What should I do this next year to make that happen? Research? Get a lot of ER letters of recommendation? Try to get my civilian trans. yr at Wright State?

I'm very confused at the moment, as I'd like to move on from this trans year into emergency medicine, and not into a two year stint as a GMO/FS. Not saying I'd be upset about those, but I love EM and would like to start training in it as soon as possible.

Can anyone give me any advice about any steps along the way as to what I should do to best improve my chances for getting EM the next go around?

Thanks.

Jake

Sorry to hear things didn't go the way you wanted. My advice is to look for possible opportunities you might not have had if you matched categorical EM.

I think research and good scores on USMLE step 3 should be high on your priority list for the next go round.

if you get Air Force

TRANSITIONAL YEAR location DEFERRED

and you are an Osteopathic student

can you do that PGY-1 at one of the DO TRADITIONAL years?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
if you get Air Force

TRANSITIONAL YEAR location DEFERRED

and you are an Osteopathic student

can you do that PGY-1 at one of the DO TRADITIONAL years?

Thanks

Last I knew: yes. The caveat with that would be that if you are hoping to use this TRI as the precursor to a competitive residency (rads, ophtho, etc.) you may find it not looked on as favorably as a respected ACGME TY. If you can get a good ACGME TY (as they are fairly competitive), I would think getting resolution 42 approval would be easy, especially if you scheduled the appropriate rotations for electives (I assume you were hoping to keep your AOA approval status, thus the inquiry).

Today I received word from the USAF that I'd be chosen for a transitional year, deferred...

Not to get too Kung Fu Panda on you (or overly negative), but maybe the universe is trying to tell you something (or, if you are a skeptic like me): you just got lucky?

I always feel the most for those desiring to do EM who face a <50% selection rate (sometimes waaay less than that) vs the mid 80s % selection in the civilian world all to train at centers that generally don't compare well to civilian programs. This isn't my bailywick, but did you read this one lately: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=780721? Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. (BTW, no, I don't get my info exclusively from this site)

Hey, all.

Research might not be a bad idea, but unfortunately, I don't think a good Step 3 would help me.

I'll be reapplying in September, waaay before I'll even consider studying for Step 3. Though a good step 3 would help me if I had to reapply after 2 years of flight surgery, but hopefully I won't have to do that.

Jake

I went through the same thing two years ago. You absolutely need to apply to civilian prelim programs right now. I ended up scrambling into a PGY-1 surgery spot during my fourth year of medical school when the Air Force dropped me, too. Make sure that wherever you go will let you do at least one month of emergency medicine. You'll need two SLOR's and a rec letter from your program director next year.

Next, find any research project in emergency medicine that will take you if you think that you'll get a publication by August. If you can't immediately find one, ask your university's research director if anyone is interested in a chart review, meta analysis, case report, computer program, or anything else you can pound out in three months. You should have lots of free time as a 4th year medical student to get it done.

The second time I applied I got my top choice, deferred emergency medicine. I dodged the GMO/FS route and so can you.

so if they say TRANSITIONAL YEAR location DEFFERED

that mean NO surgery PGY-1 year

and ]

NO internal medicine PGY-1 year?

Just transitional year?

And what happens if you don't match into a transitional year program?

Will the AF just give you an internship then?

I sent out an e-mail to many transitional year program directors yesterday and the response has been bad so far. I am not sure why they did not let us know sooner that we did not match.

Thanks

In the AF, transitional means any PGY-1 program, to include medicine and surgery.

The AF will NOT give you an internship. That's why you are deferred. They have completely abandoned you and now you're on your own to find an internship. If you don't match, you'll have to scramble into a preliminary year. Again, all of this will be done without help from Uncle Sam.

In the AF, transitional means any PGY-1 program, to include medicine and surgery.

The AF will NOT give you an internship. That's why you are deferred. They have completely abandoned you and now you're on your own to find an internship. If you don't match, you'll have to scramble into a preliminary year. Again, all of this will be done without help from Uncle Sam.
I am resurrecting this thread because I just got my "match" results today from the Air Force. I was trying to get into rads but was instead given Transitional Year - Deferred. Very disappointed. So ya, I will most likely be scrambling. I will reapply again next year, but I think I may be more realistic about matching into radiology.

Also, I spoke with Mr. Kush and he said getting transitional deferment just means intern year. You can do transitional, medicine, or surgery PGY1.

The next step for you is to get something (ANYTHING) published. You'll get bonus points for next year's match. Next, ace your intern year and get another 3 points. Find a place that will let you rotate in rads to get some rec letters. Letter writers---including your program director---will have only 3 months' experience with you before they write their rec letters. I suggest letting the PD of wherever you end up know your intentions early so he/she can keep on eye on you. Finally, take Step 3 early just so you won't have it hanging above your head.

Also, I suggest heading over to the ACGME website and reading about the specific requirements for a PGY-1 year to qualify you for radiology residency. For instance, you can't stack your intern year with tons and tons of radiology electives. This will be important in a few years, since you probably don't want to have to repeat internship.

Radiology is very tough to get into in the AF if you haven't done a GMO tour. This is because it is awesome.