Deferring acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STLCARDINALS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are accepted to a med school and choose to defer for one year, can you improve your MCAT score, apply again to other schools, and say you get accepted to a "more desirable" school, choose to go to the "more desirable" school??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am sure you can do that but the question is should you do it because you can. There are things to remember: 1) the school where you are admitted has full access to amcas and can see mcat scores. So imagine them seeing a newer test score while you are holding up a spot during a deferral year; that may be troublesome to you. 2) Let's say you are interviewed at a newer school and about to get an acceptance. Usually they have to check your name on amcas. They will probably see you as an accepted student on deferral and who knows what they will do.

So it is a gamble; you can take the risk and ge successful or you can lose it all. Remember, at the end of the day it may not matter what school you went to.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahahh omg....i love sdn for people like this. Go ahead and do it.:laugh:

um, you can but you lose your acceptance.

phillies >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cards

Due to the financial crisis, I may need to defer my acceptance to med school. I just cannot not come up with all the ~65K that I need for the year despite some shake down with the financial aid office.

What do I say to them so that I have a better chance of being approved for the deferral?:D

Due to the financial crisis, I may need to defer my acceptance to med school. I just cannot not come up with all the ~65K that I need for the year despite some shake down with the financial aid office.

What do I say to them so that I have a better chance of being approved for the deferral?:D

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to borrow up to your cost of attendance..so why would you need to defer?

If that's the cause of your action, then why bother applying to the next cycle?

1. If you're a U.S. citizen, you can borrow up to your cost of attendance. So saying that it's the "financial crisis" that's preventing you from attending is BS. Obviously, there are (very) exceptional circumstances.

2. You can't defer and reapply. They make you sign a contract saying that you won't be applying again, and that if you do, your acceptance is automatically rescinded.

3. COA of 65K is high, but not as high as the earning potential of that year that you will be essentially throwing away (at least in the grand scheme of things).

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to borrow up to your cost of attendance..so why would you need to defer?

I did not get all of the 65k from financial aid so I need some private loans and the banks I contacted would not lend the amount I need. Trust me I tried everything.

um, you need to call the school and explain your situation. you should be able to find a private lender. that makes no sense

You can always take out private loans. Do you have bad credit or a huge debt already? Even so,your medschool can point you in the direction of private lenders that with a fair interest rate and that defers your payments till you graduation. Wells Fargo, Bank of American, Sallie Mae have loan programs for medical students as well with many others.

Also medschool will only let you defer if your going to be doing a "once in a life time opportunity" deal. You have to be doing something really special for them to defer you.

Last edited:
did you just show up to your local Susquehanna bank and go Dog Day Afternoon on them?

I did not get all of the 65k from financial aid so I need some private loans and the banks I contacted would not lend the amount I need. Trust me I tried everything.

There's really no reason to get private loans. You can get Grad PLUS loans (federal, fixed interest) up to your CoA. Everyone's approved.

You didn't try everything.

I know some GradPLUS loans require a credit check, but most non-trad students don't have any credit to begin with, and still get approved. If you've gone bankrupt or have defaulted on loans already, then ok fine, maybe they won't finance your loans. If you didn't, then I'm pretty sure you haven't exhausted all your options.

http://www.chasestudentloans.com/chase-student-loans/medical-students.html

http://www.salliemae.com/get_student_loan/find_student_loan/grad/med_school_loans/

try those two. Did you really think every single medical student at your school had 65k just laying around??

Last edited:
If you are accepted to a med school and choose to defer for one year, can you improve your MCAT score, apply again to other schools, and say you get accepted to a "more desirable" school, choose to go to the "more desirable" school??? Thanks!

I defer my acceptance to 2010 and NO you cant apply to other school. On your AMCAS you can only apply to the school that you were accepted in, you have to check the deferment box. After that you cant add any other school. But there is no AMCAS application fee so that is good :D

Even though related threads show up when you are making a new thread, people still make the same threads over and over. :|