Deferring Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddiebliss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does everybody feel about deferring admission for a year? I am considering deferring to get married and get settled before I start school. If anybody has some thoughts, please reply.

------------------
Bliss

Members don't see this ad.

Considering what you want to do, that wouldn't be such a bad idea. I would think one would want to get those priorities out of the way and dealt with before having to deal with med school.

Originally posted by Eddiebliss:
How does everybody feel about deferring admission for a year? I am considering deferring to get married and get settled before I start school. If anybody has some thoughts, please reply.

If you are already accepted into medical school and wish to defer, some schools are willing to grant it. I think the MSAR guide shows the deferring policy for medical schools. The usual procedure is that you send a letter to your medical school dean and state your reasons for wanting to defer. There is a deadline, so be wary. Then, the dean's office will contact you stating whether or not they will accept your request to defer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a question for you guys: How do you feel about getting married during the first year of med school? (Say for example oct. or nov.) Is that just too crazy?

I'm really trying to look at my options and since I'm already taking a year off from school I really don't want to defer. So I would appreciate your opinions.

So far, only one guy got married during the first year of medical school (in December). I think it would be easier on the male to get married during the first year (not to sound sexists), since they do not have to do most of the planning. The engaged females in my class have opted to wait until either the summer or later.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

I am getting married this July, a month before (God willing) I will enter med school. Actually, I have a year off from school working, so this year has given me the time to plan. Yes, you are right! the girls do most of the planning! Thank goodness! I might have to take another year off to work, because my fiance feels that a year with two incomes will help us get on our feet and more able to support my med school expenses. I think you should defer if you want! I don't necessarily want too, but hey if that will make my marriage situation better, I will do it!