Deferring Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of the D.O. schools allow you to defer admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I know at least several of them do. Some have strict requirements, ie being physically unable to start classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
At UHS you have to have a very good reason. For example I know of one of my classmates who deferred because his fiancee (now wife) was interviewing for admission the next year. They wanted to go through school together and they are now classmates. I also know of a woman who was supposed to start with us but was going to have a baby in our first month of class so she deferred and will be starting in the fall.

I agree with the above poster. In order to defer, you really need a good reason. Schools aren't too keen on holding random spots for people...for no good reason.

I am sure it varies by school...but in general, I would imagine each school has its own deal.

Ditto the others ... a good reason is key. I deferred UMDNJ-SOM to do an additional year of research prior to entering school. Also, if you've been away from school/academia/science for some time, even a year, they (UMDNJ-SOM) may require their summer pre-matriculation program. My situation does not require attending the summer program. Check with the individual schools you are interested in for their requirements.