Deferring An Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the_rock

Is anybody familiar with deferring an acceptance from a medical school, and can they turn around and deny you if you ask for to defer for one year. I have a very serious family illness and need to defer my acceptance for one year. The information I have states that this specific school does allow a student to defer, but I am wondering if there are any repercussions for asking?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

If a medical school indicates it does consider deferments, of course ask. If you are refused and personal circumstances compel you to take the time off, withdraw and reapply there or elsewhere whenever you are ready. There are situations where your presence is absolutely needed, even if only for YOUR peace of mind, and that should take precedence over your medical education. You can always go to medical school. If you choose medical school now over that other need, you will have a ghost, a guilty conscience with you the rest of your life.

thanks for the insight. I agree, I just needed to hear it. I hope they understand my situation.

What are the general requirements for deferment across medical schools? I know some will only honor the request if you have a big name fellowship like Rhodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.