Deferring...anyone thinking about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THEMAN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,
I am pretty sure I know where I want to go to school, but I am now strongly considering deferring for a year because I am getting married and want to spend the year developing our life, making a little money (as much as possible with a micro degree
smile.gif
), and just enjoying being young. I just wanted to see what you guys had heard about this concept? Any one else thinking about it?

THEMAN

Members don't see this ad.

Deferring ain't that easy...if it were, everyone would do it...

My school requires a first year to have a very compelling reason: a scholarly fellowship (Fullbright, Rhodes, Marshall, etc.), a 2 year stint in the Peace Corps, or something...well...rather negative (e.g. last year, a student was given a deferral, because his father passed away 1 month before the start of school)...

I'm not sure what the policy is like at your intended school, but I don't know of a one that allows deferral because a student wants to get married before matriculating or because a student wants to "enjoy being young."

The only way out I see is to be soooo poor that the fin aid office couldn't possibly cover you, i.e. have tremendous debts that require immediate payback -- by the way you sound, that probably isn't the case.

In any event, only start med school if you're ready for it. If not, tell your school your reasons for declining them and reapply when you're ready. Deferrals are VERY serious matters for all schools -- they invest a lot in you when they give you the admissions offer; they expect to see you there the following fall. Deferring after your second year is somewhat easier than deferring before you matriculate -- you can get an MPH or something; that way you'll have more time to do what you want and have a valid reason for your deferral (note: you can't start on any degree after the one you've last earned BEFORE you matriculate into your first year).

Good luck to you. I hope you make the choice that will be most comfortable.

[This message has been edited by dh (edited 12-18-1999).]

To THEMAN: have you already applied?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes...I am pretty much settled on where I'm going...I got into my number one choice and now I'm just thinking about deferring...I'll tell you one thing...even if I can't defer, I will NOT EVER reapply...I couldn't handle this process again....so for me its go or defer.
Seeya!

TheMan,

Schools will differ on their deferment policies. They range from giving them out simply for asking to requiring documented extenuating circumstances. Whatever the case, if you are newly married, if you can take a deferment...I would jump on it! The first year of marraige, no matter how perfect the match, is challenging enough w/o throwing med school into the mix.

Whatever you choose to do...best of luck!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!