Deferring for a green card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantanmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

In order for me to receive a green card, I need to spend 730 days in my original country. I will need to do that either before medical school or between the 2nd and 3rd year. I only need one more year because I spent 6 months in there already and I'm planning to spend another 6 month before August (start date of medical school).

My question is: for the rest (1 year), would it be a good reason to defer and get done with it and receive good loans or should I just wait between the 2nd and 3rd year (if so, would it hurt my residency matching?)

I'm planning on volunteering in my country so I won't be doing nothing.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

defer now if you can
That's what I think too. Hopefully it will be approved. I'm scared that it's not a good reason to defer and if so I would just take a year off during med school.

Good luck throughout the Green Card process! If you need help with anything feel free to PM me!

Gonnif is right, your best bet is to go through US MD in one shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck throughout the Green Card process! If you need help with anything feel free to PM me!

Gonnif is right, your best bet is to go through US MD in one shot.
You've been through the process?

I've been through the process, but I got my greencard back in high school and I'd become a citizen by the time I applied
I never had to stay in my original country for 2 years though, I was here the whole time on an H4 visa
Took me 10 years to get that greencard
I was a J1 visa four years ago so I have the 2 year rule to fulfill before I can immigrate. My green card is going to come through marriage with my long time boyfriend (we couldn't marry before because of the rule). It should take less than 6 months to get it.

Another possibility might be to take the year off between 2nd and 3rd and do a research year in your home country... that would help with residency.

Another possibility might be to take the year off between 2nd and 3rd and do a research year in your home country... that would help with residency.
Research is pretty inexistent in my country except for people with phD and professors. When I go back, I'm probably going to volunteer and work in food science (pretty big there). I'll actually take anything in science.

Research is pretty inexistent in my country except for people with phD and professors. When I go back, I'm probably going to volunteer and work in food science (pretty big there). I'll actually take anything in science.
I guess the question is, does the law explicitly require you to be in your home country or just not in the US? You could do medical research in a different country.

I guess the question is, does the law explicitly require you to be in your home country or just not in the US? You could do medical research in a different country.
Actually yes the 2 year rule must be fulfilled in my home country.